Lecturers to Strike Again

Lecturers to go on strike for the second time in the ongoing row over pay

They say lightning never strikes twice.

Apparently, the same can’t be said for lecturers.

Whether we want it or not, we’re set to get another day off as our teaching staff strike for a second time as the row over pay continues.

Having gone walkabouts once already this semester, university staff will be going AWOL again tomorrow.

The strikes come as part of a continuing University and College Union (UCU) nationwide campaign which demands higher pay for those who work in higher education.

(Un)fortunately for students, some classes and lectures are expected to proceed as normal.

But luckily, the strikes could involve picketing of lecture theatres and teaching rooms giving us an easy excuse for non-attendance if it’s needed.

The Brotherton, Edward Boyle and Health Sciences libraries are expected to open as normal at 8am, but they will close early as a result of the strikes.

However, the university’s IT and sporting facilities will be unaffected by the strike action.

Last time the strikes fell on Halloween giving students a chance to get their night-out costumes looking top-notch during the day.

This time, the strike falls on a Tuesday and The Tab recommends you make the most of your day-off.

Things you could do instead:

• Get smashed in Halo or Mint and spend all of tomorrow in bed
  • Nip into town for a head start on the Crimbo shopping
  • Set up a cake stall to nourish those angry strikers and make a few bob whilst you’re there
  • Catch up on this week’s MiC