Police launch murder inquiry in Hyde Park

A man’s body was discovered on Brudenell Road

Police have launched a murder investigation after a man’s body was found in Hyde Park on Sunday morning.

Mwila Chitalu, 30, who lived locally, was found in Brudenell Road at about 8.45am yesterday.

He was taken to the Leeds General Infirmary where he died a short time later.

A police spokesperson said:  “Enquiries are at an early stage but it is currently believed he had attended a house party in nearby Ash Grove overnight between Saturday and Sunday and been assaulted at some point by a group of males in the street near to where he was found.”

Officers have this afternoon arrested a 21-year-old man from the Wibsey area of Bradford in connection with the incident and are holding him for questioning.

They added: “A total of seven men and two women have this morning been arrested in the nearby area in connection with the man’s death and are being held in custody.”

“Neighbourhood Policing Team officers are conducting reassurance patrols and enquiries are ongoing by detectives to both identify the victim and further clarify the circumstances of the incident.”

It is believed the incident occurred following a fight at a house party on Ash Grove.

Anyone who has information is asked to contact the Homicide and Major Enquiry Team on 101.