Uni says Sticky Sperm is Better

Our scientists claim it’s better to be in a sticky situation for fertility

Researchers think gooey semen could lead the charge to higher IVF success rates.

Perhaps experts at Leeds Uni have found a way to use our status as the UK’s second most promiscuous university for good.

Boffins believe that selecting ‘sticky’ sperm for IVF cycles could boost conception rates for couples undergoing the treatment.

Launched on Monday, the £1.3 million spunk-based study is the largest of its kind to date and coincides with National Infertility Awareness Week.

Sorting the wheat from the spaff … A researcher hard at work tackling infertility

Trial leader Dr David Miller said:

“It is fascinating that a substance with such strong lubricating properties should be sticky for some, but not all, sperm. We think that this paradoxical property is what gives only mature and healthy sperm with little or no DNA damage the ability to latch on to the coat that surrounds the egg.”

Ejaculate-examiners will also test whether the use of sticky sperm minimises the risk of damaged DNA being carried into the egg.

Clare Lewis-Jones, chief executive of charity Infertility Network UK said: “It’s not always easy to have a baby and we welcome new advances which may increase success rates of fertility treatment.”