A message to Year Abroad-ers: Blog Off

REBECCA SHAPIRO explains why nobody cares about year abroad blogs

In addition to the usual complaints about the weather, hangovers and essays that embattled uni students are forced to face, you may have noticed a new phenomenon saturating your Facebook newsfeed – The Year Abroad Blog.

I am here to explain why this phenomenon is about as original, interesting and innovative as wearing beanies and disco pants on campus.

The rise of The Year Abroad Blog infuriates me for 5 simple reasons:

1. The showing off of your incredible ability to say hi or bye in another language

You’ve been learning this language for a good 6 years – and now the fruits of your labour are evident. You can greet someone in France or Germany authentically! It doesn’t matter that most real foreigners will sneer at your attempts and speak English back at you, you should be TREMENDOUSLY proud of your efforts.

<- Original way to end your blog entry, félicitations guys

2. The assumption that we care

I’m sorry but unless we are your parents, the fact you now feel settled, have sorted out internet installation and have made some fascinating friends from all over the world is of very little interest to us.

Surely this applies to all kids?!

Detail some highly embarrassing drunken sexual encounter or don’t bother.

3.    The shocking discovery that other countries are different to the UK

You’d assume all the brave explorers on their year abroad might have been prepared for cultural differences galore..

..But, not only does this appear far from the reality, but your experiences away have also turned you into tutting grannies – moaning self-indulgently about fascinating topics ranging from organisational inconsistencies to excessive bureaucracy.

4.    The fact that not everything is perfect

Boo hoo isn’t your life so hard.

New country, better weather, less hipsters.. why are you complaining? You are not earning my sympathy so stop trying.

Just think – you could be sitting in Eddy B feeling sick from both the rapidly souring milk used for your Weetabix and the overwhelming pressure of having still not chosen your dissertation title..

5.    The fact you’re having fun

If you are having the time of your life then either STOP RUBBING IT IN OUR FACES OR SHUT UP.

In all seriousness – Leeds is cold, dark and wet. Reading the last line of the journal conclusion as seminar prep no longer cuts the mustard. Not that we can even afford mustard as September’s student loan instalment has become a distant memory..

But this rage-inspiring entry makes the stress all the better!

To sum up, if you must continue to blog then stop making us loyal Leeds lads and lasses so jealous.

Find yourself, broaden your horizons, meet new people, do crazy things, push the boat out.. the world is your oyster. But it is an oyster we do not constantly want to hear about.