No Fly-er Zone

Angry student launches campaign to get rid of flyering on campus for good

Whether you stick them on your wall or stick ‘em in the bin, it can’t be denied: flyers are everywhere.

But for one fed-up undergrad, enough really is enough.

James Barford-Evans, a new media student at Leeds Uni, has launched a campaign to ban flyers from campus permanently.

The avid activist argues promotional handouts are “not only highly irritating but a waste of natural resources” and asserts that discarded handouts are “eyesores”.

His grass-roots crusade against what he describes as “archaic” and “disgraceful” marketing tactics is gathering pace with over 100 students having joined the Facebook campaign.

When asked on whether the campaign would be successful, flyer-fighting James said “Yes, I believe it will work-  the university is trying to become greener and flyering wastes the world’s natural resources”.

“This week I saw many Fruity temporary tattoos strewn about on the floor of the Union. Some poor cleaner will have to clean that up”.

However, some claim flyering provides an easy way for skint students to make money.

Third year student and former promoter Josh Julien said “Pretty much all of the flyerers are students, so banning flyering will affect students the most. The union should be supporting students who show the initiative to work”

The motion will be going to the University forums in November.

Do you think flyering should be banned from campus? Let us know in the comments.