The Night S Club Partied At My House

It was a night like any other, until S Club turned up. LAURA KEENE explains.

In the later hours of the first night of Freshers, Bradley, Paul and Jo of S Club 7 fame, now dubbed ‘S Club 3’, performed a one-off gig at Halo nightclub to hundreds of screaming students.

But it was following events that had me and my housemates Reaching For The Stars when the guys of the group headed back to our humble Ash Grove residence for an all-night after party.

Bring The House Down

We provided the booze, they the entertainment as our friends and neighbours came round to mingle with the former chart-toppers. At first nobody believed us, but everyone was buzzing when they arrived surprised to find that they hadn’t been stitched up.

Don’t Stop Movin’

Memorable moments came courtesy of Bradley, who was the life and soul of the party. He:

• Rolled up with a small entourage at 4am.
  • Compared Miley Cyrus’ appearance to Cynthia – that’s Angelica’s doll from the Rugrats cartoon (one for the 90s kids).
  • Expressed his spiritual tendencies when he spotted my housemate’s Buddha poster, a recent purchase from the Union poster sale.
  • Swigged Jack Daniels’ whisky from the bottle.
  • Smoked some cigs on our premises, with the packet taking pride of place on our Wall of Fame.
  • Chose a taxi as his ride of choice, leaving at 7.30am. Perhaps all the limousines were taken!

Despite his status, Paul was reserved but showed his youthful side by rocking a biker jacket. He was polite and good-humoured, and talked about his desire to release new music. He preferred to stay away from the crowd, and spent most of the night chilling upstairs with a small group of people.

Never Had a Dream Come True

Looking back, housemate Flo Henry describes the party as “a wild one”. On explaining how the event came about she told The Tab: “My housemate’s friend was up staying with us and it just so happens that she’s a friend of Paul’s. She invited him round after the gig and he seemed cool about it – and then Bradley came along too.”

Helen Clough added: “I was a massive fan of S Club back in the day so it really was like reliving our childhood. My 9 year-old self would have gone mental for them.”

It goes without saying that there really Ain’t No Party Like An S Club Party!