Tyne will tell for Tequila

Newcastle banned the club night back in 2011. Will Leeds do the same?

Tequila Leeds has come under fire, with many calling for the club night to close.

But Tequila has already been banned from a Newcastle nightclub, it has emerged.

The self-billed ‘den of hedonism’, which has been criticised for its promotional methods, was given a citywide ban from the council back in 2011.

The night was dropped from the Riverside nightclub because of  a provocative flyers, which showed a woman on her knees in front of a man with the caption “come and swallow.”

Controversial … The Newcastle Tequila flyer

Event manager Tarquin Van De Vaart defended the advert, saying: “We at Tequila see no problem with the flyer. It’s up to the reader’s interpretation as to how they view the flyer. Those with a crude mind may think the worst.”

Following public complaints over the Tequila video in Leeds, Mezz nightclub has been under investigation by the police.

In the slammer … Protests outside of Tequila on Thursday

When questioned on whether Mezz would continue to host Tequila UK nights, the manager of the popular venue replied “No comment.”

Do you think Mezz will continue to host Tequila or be forced to drop it like Riverside in Newcastle? Let us know in the comments.