Medical Student Killed by Banned Weight Loss Pills

Cause of unexpected death of Medic Sarah Houston was slimming pills

An inquest into the death of a medical student has found she died after taking slimming pills.

Sarah Houston, 23, was found dead in Leeds last September.

Wakefield Coroner’s Court heard that she had been taking dinitrophenol (DNP), a drug popular with bodybuilders which is easily available online.

Investigations showed she had taken 38 capsules from a packet of  100 of  Dinitrophenol (DNP) and the drug was detected in her blood.

At her inquest yesterday, coroner David  Hinchliff said it was ‘entirely’ responsible for Miss Houston’s death.

Sarah had suffered from anorexia since the age of 15 and later struggled with bulimia.

Her father Geoff, 55, said: “For those who  are selling it, if you have any ounce of decency you must stop.”

“The world has lost a bright, bubbly  person  who would have gone on to making people’s lives better. Sarah  loved life and  was passionate about helping others less fortunate than  herself.”

The family are now campaigning to for DNP to be made illegal.

Toxicologist Matthew Wade said of  DNP: “We have heard of several deaths  caused by  DNP and we know that whatever the dose, it can be  life-threatening.

“It is not  intended for human consumption and it is a  poisonous substance. It therefore seems likely DNP consumption caused  Sarah’s death.”