Preview and interview: Our Class

Olivia finds out from the director what Our Class is all about and why you should head to stage@Leeds to see it THIS WEEK!!

Here’s what Jocelyn Cheek, director of TG’s production of Our Class (via email this time as we were both finishing our VERY last minute essays…) had to say about her role in putting together the play.

Quick run down: the play explores the history of a small town in Poland through the memories of ten classmates from childhood. It includes the controversial pogrom of 1941 and how it affects the relationships between them as they mature. Set against the turbulent background of 20th Century Polish history the play deals with betrayal, love, murder, revenge and secrets.

The Tab: What made you decide to put on a play in your first year?

Jocelyn: I’ve had some directing experience but never directed a whole show alone. I thought first year was the right time to bite the bullet!

The Tab: Why did you choose a foreign playwright & an international play?

Jocelyn: People assume they know the story of WWII; when they hear it’s a play about a Jewish community they assume ‘holocaust’ – which isn’t what Our Class focuses on at all. I saw the play when I was young & cried throughout. I wanted to introduce others to this fantastic script.

The Tab: How are you finding the rehearsal process?

Jocelyn: Tough. Everyone’s got so many commitments! It’s shaping up now though! We asked the cast to come back early from Easter for some intense rehearsals. Thank you to everyone who made it back, I’m truly grateful! We spent time at the start playing games and doing exercises, helping the cast act convincingly as young children (‘Duck Duck Goose’ etc…). We meditate before any big important scenes so we’re calm and ready.

The Tab: Is your approach personal or have you tried to keep your feelings separate from your direction (as it is a true story)? 

Jocelyn: Each cast member approached their role differently. Lizzy (Morgan) did plenty of research into the emotion her character experiences to help make the role more personal. For others it’s been important to remain detached.

The Tab: Everyone excited for opening night??

Jocelyn: How could we not be!? For many of us it’s our first TG production too! Tickets are selling fast which makes it all the more exciting!

The Tab: Anything else?

Jocelyn: Thank you Steve at stage@leeds for your support. Another huge thank you to my producer Jo Langdon who’s kept me sane! If you’re a theatre fan, someone who’s interested in history or you just want to see something powerful and moving then come along!

Our Class is on at Alec Clegg, stage@leeds on 17th – 20th April. Tickets are on sale every day in the union and online at www.leedstickets.com. Make sure you get yours – I can tell this one’s going to be a killer!