Lancaster University Hedgehog Society achieve gold award

The Gold Accreditation has been awarded by the Official British Hedgehog Preservation Society

Lancaster University’s Hedgehog Society, established in April 2022, has achieved its Gold Accreditation.

This award recognises the society’s efforts to make campus a safe place for hedgehogs.

To achieve this, the society had to complete five objectives, including three hedgehog surveys, multiple litter picks and fundraising over £100 for the British Hedgehog Preservation Society (BHPS).

Furthering this, Lancaster’s Grounds and Landscape team have been trained in hedgehog preservation, and have installed a hedgehog crossing sign on campus.

Hedgehog Society is a group of students and staff leading efforts to make Lancaster’s campus hedgehog friendly by raising awareness about wildlife conservation, tracking the hedgehog population and increasing wildlife-friendly spaces on campus.

The society is a branch of the BHPS’s Hedgehog Friendly Campus scheme, which offers support to staff and students at universities to encourage impactful changes for hedgehogs. In 2020, hedgehogs were declared at risk of extinction and placed on the UK Red List, highlighting the importance of the work of this organisation and our own Hedgehog Society.

Their next step is a Platinum Initiative, which they say will have a lasting impact on the university and the local community and will be replicated by future Hedgehog Friendly Campus ambassadors. Society President, Morgan, said, “I was really proud of all the great work our student and staff team achieved this year. I hope to see some new faces as we work toward the Platinum award.”

More information about Hedgehog Society and the work they do can be found on their Instagram.

Related articles recommended by this writer:

Featured image via @lancsuni_hedgehogsoc on Instagram