Here’s how Lancaster University will be recognising Holocaust Memorial Day

The university will be hosting a variety of events in remembrance of those who suffered the Holocaust

January 27th marks Holocaust Memorial Day, a day which remembers the six million Jews killed during the Holocaust, alongside millions of other people murdered under Nazi persecution. The day is marked following the anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz-Birkenau, the largest Nazi death camp.

Each year, Holocaust Memorial Day has a theme, and for 2023 it is “Ordinary People”, which describes the ordinary people who allowed the Nazi genocide to occur, the ordinary people who committed genocide, those who stood by as the genocide occurred, and those who were witnesses, rescuers and victims.

To recognise Holocaust Memorial Day, Lancaster University Library is holding events including a showing of the film “The Book Thief” on January 26th from 6pm in the Library Events Space alongside Lancaster University’s Jewish Society. Additionally, a university-wide book club of “Lily’s Promise” will be running from the 23rd of January to the 12th of February.

The library will also be compiling a list of resources relevant to the Holocaust, as well as providing Holocaust-related eBooks and audiobooks, and creating a playlist of films, documentaries, and interviews.

Information will be presented about each genocide that is highlighted by Holocaust Memorial Day, as well as stories from those who have experienced genocide, and this display will be available in the library until the 30th January.

More information can be found on the Lancaster University Library website.

Related articles recommended by this writer: