LU Feminist Society to run activities for 16 Days of Gender-Based Violence

‘It raises attention towards the ongoing battles women+ face due to misogyny.’

In 2022, Lancaster University Feminist Society will once again be holding activities and events to mark the UN’s 16 Days of Activism Against Gender-Based Violence campaign.

This is an annual event that runs from the 25th of November to the 10th of December and aims to bring awareness to gender-based violence and its victims.

Since its beginnings in 1991, the campaign has grown steadily in numbers, both in people attending and in activities. 2022 will be the biggest year yet, with an art focus on all the events, and the overall theme for the 16 Days being ‘Unite!’.

Lancaster Feminist Society explained why the 16 Days of Activism Against Gender-Based Violence is so important, saying: “It raises attention towards the ongoing battles women+ face due to misogyny. It also allows a space for victims to speak out as often most individuals are overlooked, and the focus is on the perpetrator.”

The events being held include an activism workshop for painting shoes red on Thursday 17th November, and the ensuing 100 Red Shoe Exhibition, which will be held across the University and Lancaster on Saturday 26th November.

A film about the exhibition will be shown at the Dukes on Monday 28th November, and a ‘Claiming Our Stories: Holding Space for Victims of Misogyny-Based Violence’ service will be held at the Chaplaincy Centre on Tuesday 6th December.

There will also be a panel on gender-based violence on Wednesday 7th December; a Reclaim the Night protest march beginning at Dalton Square on Friday 9th December, and a subsequent after-party at the Gregson Centre on the same day.

LU Feminist Soc said: “The best way to keep the momentum going is to keep talking about the gender-based violence women+ face, keeping the focus on victims, not perpetrators.

“It is also important to realize gender-based violence is so interconnected to over issues marginalized communities face meaning this is not a single-issue battle; tackling other social issues will improve the situation for so many women+.”

Related articles recommended by this writer: