These places in Lancaster are definitely haunted and no one can convince me otherwise

There’s something going on in Lonsdale Bar

It’s Halloween, which means that the world is more in touch with its spiritual self. However, if you live in Lancaster, you’re probably already aware of all the spooky energy about 80 per cent of the time, because the city is so old that I reckon it’s riddled with ghosts.

On every street corner is an invisible little guy who died in the 1600s, we just can’t see them. They absolutely live in the really old buildings in the city, and they absolutely live in the places we don’t expect them as well. Here are all of the places I believe are haunted in Lancaster and you can’t convince me otherwise.

The Castle

Anyone who has ever been on a tour of Lancaster Castle has seen the masses of medieval torture instruments that they’ve accrued over the years. I mean, you literally get locked in a prison cell at one point. Don’t try and tell me there isn’t the ghost of a prisoner who died still floating around there.

The castle website describes it as the “perfect venue for paranormal groups and ghost hunts” due to its “rich and bloody history”.

Williamson Park

Anyone who has ever been around the edges of Williamson Park as it’s going dark will know that it’s unbelievably creepy. The trees loom over you and their creaks are enough to make anyone terrified. If you’re going ghost hunting, this is the place to do it.

The Library’s reading room

It’s the silence. The pen scratches. The fact that you can’t breathe without someone hearing you. Those portraits watch over you and their eyes seem to follow you. If the ghosts of the people in the portraits aren’t in that room, I’m going to be fuming.

Lonsdale Bar

Lonsdale Bar is open, what? Maybe two nights a week, if that? It’s dead in there, and when you do go in, it feels like you’re in the wrong place. Like you shouldn’t be there. Like there’s something fundamentally wrong. Maybe that’s due to the whole not being open thing, or maybe it’s due to the resident evil wraith shooing people away. We may never know.

Barker House Farm

Cartmel loves to talk about how old its college building is, so there’s definitely the ghost of a Georgian child wandering around in there, watching you play pool and judging you for your drinking habits.

LICA

No one has ever been to the LICA building unless they take a creative arts subject, which means that it’s permanently very quiet. The top floor has a tendency to be very quiet in off-peak times, and can be very creepy. It may be a fairly new building but there’s an element of the supernatural going on there.

The Woodland Walk

It may be close to the motorway, but it’s absolutely quiet enough that it can be very spooky if you time it right and it starts to go dark whilst you’re out there. Was it the baaing of a sheep, or the wail of a ghostly child? We may never know.

Bowland Annexe

There’s a ghost in there. End of story.

Related articles recommended by this writer: