Former Lancaster student convicted for producing and supplying drugs

Jake Kaine achieved a First Class degree in Human Bio-science

Lancaster University graduate has been convicted of producing, supplying, and possessing with intent to supply Class A drugs, reports Metro.

36-year-old microbiologist Jake Kaine has been sentenced to two-years in jail, suspended 24 months, alongside 300 hours of unpaid work for his crimes.

After receiving a tip-off, police raided Kaine’s home and discovered magic mushrooms along with a variety of jars and test tubes “containing elements of the drug”.

Police also seized “fertiliser, scales, mushroom seeds, a recipe book for growing mushrooms and three mobile telephones”.

Kaine claims to have believed the drugs he was nurturing were of Class C, and he was unaware of their Class A status.

The trial took place at Chester Crown Court, where Kaine admitted to “producing and supplying magic mushrooms, possession with intent to supply and unlawful possession of 120 tablets of diazepam.”

Prosecutor, Jayne Morris, confirmed that “a total of 291.33 g of mushrooms were seized containing psilocin and psilocybin with a street value of between £1,500 and £5,820. The diazepam has been valued at between £120 and £240.”

Miss Morris explained that, according to Kaine, he wanted to grow the mushrooms to help with his mental health, thus he researched the growing process and purchased the necessary ingredients. Police found a tent and measuring scales within Kaine’s home, which he claims were used to help him and his partner safely measure dosages.

It was confirmed in court that at the time of arrest, the plants had been growing for two months. Despite not intending to supply them, Kaine sold a “handful to a friend for £10”. On top of this, Kaine posted £100 worth of the drugs to another friend. Any drugs sold were only those in surplus to his own requirements.

Kaine’s defence counsel argued in court that it would be “difficult” to establish what the financial gain would be, and related Kaine’s situation to that of a person who grew cannabis for personal use but ended up with more than intended. Defence attorney, David Rose said: “He has since taken lots of actions to move on with his life and he has seen the error of his ways and improved himself.”

During sentencing, the judge “accepted” that Kaine’s supplying of the drug stretched no further than one £10 deal, and one £100 deal. The judge also acknowledged that Kaine was not aware he was producing a Class A drug, and instead believed it was Class C status. The judge said: “That does not amount to a defence but it is a factor to take into account and I accept your remorse and steps taken to address the difficulties in your life that led to this offending.”

Given that his two-year jail sentence has been suspended for 24 months, Kaine will be “spared prison”, according to ECHO, with his 300 hours unpaid work to be completed during this period.

Featured image credit: runcornweeklynews

Related articles recommended by this writer: