Here are all the Bonfire Night events happening in and around Lancaster this year

Get ready with your oooohs and ahhhs, Bonfire Night is almost here.

Bonfire Night is almost upon us, and with multiple organisations announcing their plans and events for the night and the days surrounding it, there’s plenty to see and enjoy. Whether you just want to see some cool explosions in the sky, or you’re looking for something a bit more artsy and refined, Lancs has something for everyone.

So grab a toffee apple and a scarf, here’s your guide to all the Bonfire Night activities and events taking place in Lancaster and beyond this year.

LUSU Annual Fireworks Display – November 3rd

Want to celebrate Bonfire Night a few days early? Lancaster University’s Student Union is hosting its annual fireworks display on Thursday, November 3rd, in Lancaster Square (County College) between 6 pm and 9 pm.

According to the LUSU, the event will consist of “fireworks, performances from our very own societies at Lancaster University and delicious food and drink market stalls.”

LUSU has stressed on its website that the capacity for this event is 2,000 people, so make sure to arrive at the square early to avoid any disappointment.

Entry is free and will include access to the display and other events. You can find out more here.

Light Up Lancaster – November 4th-5th

Lancaster’s annual Light Up Festival aims to combine projections and installations with dance and music, providing excitement and fun for all age groups throughout the Bonfire Night weekend.

This year’s theme is Turning Points, with artists set to “transport you on a magical journey of discovery with their fun, playful, fantastical, and inspirational creations.”

Artworks and installations will occur on Friday between 5 pm – 10 pm and Saturday between 5 pm – 7 pm in Castle venues and 5 pm – 7.30 pm in City Centre venues.

The culmination of the festival is a stunning fireworks display launched from the grounds of Lancaster Castle. Although wristbands for this event have now sold out, Williamson Park offers a great viewpoint of the city and a quieter atmosphere to watch the display on November 5th at 8 pm, with the opportunity to purchase hot food and drinks from the cafe.

All performances, activities, and installations within the city centre are free, with festival organisers encouraging everyone to “just turn up and enjoy!” You can find out more here.

Dutty Moonshine Big Band – ‘On The Run’ Tour at Kanteena – November 5th

As a part of the Light Up Lancaster festival, Kanteena is holding a Fringe event on Saturday, November 5th, with doors opening at 8:30 pm. 

Following the success of their “City of Sin” tour in the Spring of this year, Dutty Moonshine Big Band is back with its “On The Run” tour, featuring new songs, bigger productions, and much more. 

The 12-piece band is bringing their tour to the centre of Lancaster, with this autumn being your chance to catch the band before anyone else as they road-test their new and exciting musical experiments. 

This event is for ticket holders only, so make sure to purchase your tickets here.

Bolton-le-Sands Bonfire and Fireworks Display – November 5th

For those who wish to celebrate Guy Fawkes night with a more traditional bonfire, Bolton-le-Sands is hosting its annual bonfire and fireworks display on Saturday, November 5th. This location is approximately 20 minutes from campus by car.

Held at the Community Centre Playing Fields, the event is entirely run by a group of volunteers, with all profits put towards next year’s events and donated to local charities of the committee’s choosing. 

Although private fireworks and sparklers are banned from the event, there will be food and drinks stalls, and “flashy lights” are available to buy inside the gates.

The display is a ticket-only event, with tickets costing £7 per person (adult and children). Tickets can be bought from multiple locations across Lancaster, Morecambe, Carnforth and Bolton-le-Sands, with the list available on their website.

Image may contain: Lighting, Fireworks, Night, Human, Person, Outdoors, Nature

Blackpool World Firework Championships and Bonfire Night Display – October 27th – 28th & November 5th

Finally, for those who want to travel even further afield – or for those with a competitive streak – Blackpool is hosting this year’s World Firework Championships, with their annual fireworks display at the Cricket Club on Saturday, November 5th.

Two displays remain in the world championships – one on Thursday, October 27th, from Finland, and a celebratory firework display on Friday, 28th. Both events have an approximate firing time of 8.30 pm, which will occur over the beach in front of Blackpool Tower.

Due to the popularity of the World Fireworks Championship Blackpool, the council advises that travellers should take extra time to arrive, park in the southern car parks, and use the tramway to travel to the event.

Blackpool Cricket Club’s annual fireworks extravaganza will light up the night sky on the Blackpool Tower beach, with gates opening at 5 pm and the display set to begin at 8.15 pm.

Tickets are only available to buy at the venue, so please make sure you take some cash alongside your ID, as there is an on-site bar. The entrance fee is £5 per person, with tickets for families (two adults & two children) costing £15. More information is available here.

Related articles recommended by this writer: