From food to friendship: Here are Lancaster’s quirkiest societies

Brb, just joining all of these and living my best life

Are you bored with the day-to-day monotony of university life? Has the week three slump hit you hard? Is netball a bit too normal for you? What you need is a new society!

Maybe you’re looking for something new to try, or for some people who are interested in your niche. Maybe you just want to meet some new people. We’ve compiled a list of Lancaster’s quirkiest societies, for those evenings when you’re feeling a little bit out there.

Underwater Hockey

Yes, Underwater Hockey is a thing. Yes, it’s spectacular. This incredible group of people meets once a week and plays a sport that is essentially hockey, underwater. They compete with other universities and even represented Lancs at Roses this year in one of the best moments of the tournament. It’s barmy and the best.

Bol Soc

A new society for this year, this Instagram page is extremely passionate about spaghetti bolognese. Having hosted their first social recently, the group is now hosting a “Best Bol” competition called the Bol Cup 2022, so if you’re passionate about your bolognese, go give them a follow and enter yourself!

Soup Soc

According to its very new Instagram, Soup Soc believes that “the world is a soup kitchen, and everyone deserves a spoon”. It’s ethos appears to be to create soup-centered socials and give back to the community, as well as hosting an exciting-looking collab with Vincenzo’s in town. It’s just very wholesome.

via @lusoupsoc on Instagram

Peeny Greeny

Peeny Greeny has become a bit of a Tab legend, and you can read more about its exploits here. Peeny Greeny holds an array of socials, ostensibly themed around pinot grigio, but in reality, more friendship based and involving a quirky range of activities, including a recent bar crawl where they literally crawled between Hogarths and Pendle Witch.

Living History Society

If you’ve ever sat behind someone with a very large shield on the bus, they are probably from the Living History Society. These people spend their weekends living in medieval times, and honestly, we’re here for the level of dedication. They held a reenactment at Freshers’ Fest. It was incredible.

Bread Soc

It’s bread themed. They eat bread. That’s it.

via @lu_breadsociety on Instagram

Charli XCX Soc

The first of its kind in the country, Lancaster plays host to its very own Charli XCX Society, dedicated to the queen of pop herself. Whilst Swift Societies are very well known, this is a new, lesser-known musician-based soc and very quirky.

Scouse Soc and Manc Soc

Regional societies abound at Lancaster, and two of the most notable are Scouse Soc and Manc Soc. If you’re proud of your area, then this is definitely the group for you, with Scouse Soc planning a return in the coming months and both socs’ dedication to the music and culture of the city. We’re just waiting for the next match when they’re both active.

Lego Soc

Possibly the most popular niche interest; Lancaster Lego Society is the place for little plastic bricks! If your hobbies include building models of anything and everything under the sun, then this is the place to meet your people in the most wholesome way possible. They have themed building nights as well as “free builds” and meet weekly.

Dog Soc

Does what it says on the tin. The Lancaster University Dog Society really likes dogs. Along with regular socials, they hold fundraisers for charities and meet guide dogs. What more could you ask for in a society?

via @ludogsoc on Instagram

Related articles recommended by this writer

Featured image credit before edits via @legolancaster, @lu_breadsociety and @ludogsoc.