LUSU VP Societies and Media result announced

Danny Goodwin will be the 2022/23 VP Societies and Media

Danny Goodwin (he/him) has been elected as the new VP Societies and Media, following the reopened ballot.

Goodwin won with 246 votes. 173 votes went to Marc Greenway (he/him), and 26 votes went to Reopen Nominations (RON).

In the same election, Yashaswi Manjarekar was elected as the LCO International Students’ Officer after standing unopposed.

Goodwin’s election campaign manifesto included the creation of the society ‘EDI Champions’, which will “be a voice to locate issues within societies regarding equality, diversity, and inclusion so they can be addressed ASAP”, along with revising the society Moodle training, launching a full-scale society review.

Goodwin also promised to launch a ‘societies taster’ event in Michaelmas term, to produce how-to guides on starting a new society at Lancaster and ensure that student media will have editorial freedom “to hold LUSU and the wider university management to account”. The manifesto also included the motion to continue to engage with the ongoing Chaplaincy review.

This is the second time that the 2022/23 VP Societies and Media election has been held, after RON won in the first vote.

In a post on his Instagram, Goodwin said “Before anything else, I would like to send a big thank you to my opponent Marc. This election has been a pleasure to take part in thanks to the fantastic attitude and spirit he brought. It’s my hope future elections can continue to run in such a pleasant nature.

“I would also like to thank my campaign team, they’ve been my rock through this incredible busy period. They are a bunch of wonderful, fantastic individuals and I love them all. Also thank you Mum! (I know she’d love a mention).”

Goodwin concluded: “I am externally grateful to the student body for electing me. I will enter this role with enthusiasm and the belief that we can truly make a union a better place. Thank you!”

Featured image credit to @lancastersu on Instagram and @danny4vpsocietiesandmedia on Instagram

Related articles recommended by this writer