LUSU postpone VP Societies and Media election due to ‘unfair advantage’

The investigation looked into potential advantages and rule breaches

Lancaster University Students’ Union announced that they had investigated a potential breach of election rules surrounding the disadvantage of individual candidates for VP Societies and Media.

The investigation was conducted by the Deputy Returning Officer of the Students’ Union and was in response to complaints about the election “which identified the potential for individual candidates in the VP Societies and Media election to have been disadvantaged”.

They announced that no evidence was found indicating a breach of election rules, but “there is a strong possibility that the process of the election has been compromised and an unfair advantage gained during this period”.

The Deputy Returning Officer has consulted the Returning Officers at the National Union of Students and has decided to postpone the current election for VP Societies and Media and run the election again at a later date.

The exact timeframe of this is still being confirmed by the Returning Officers and will be revealed shortly.

The other LUSU elections will continue.

Related articles recommended by this writer