We spoke to Lancaster Feminist Society about International Women’s Day

‘The day is a reminder that privilege exists in society and there is a long way to go’

International Women’s Day is celebrated every year on 8th March; this year the slogan is #BreakTheBias, with the global aim to “Celebrate women’s achievement. Raise awareness against bias. Take action for equality”.

We spoke to the Lancaster University Feminist Society about their thoughts on International Women’s Day and how students can get involved, what events they are running

‘It recognises what women have done in the past and are doing’

We began by asking why they believe this day to be such an important one for raising awareness. They explained that “it celebrates women who have been and still are massively marginalised in society. It’s important because it recognises what women have done in the past and are doing.”

They went on to say: “It also recognises the issues women are still facing which consequently brings feminism to the focus and shows how important feminism is to empower women. In addition, the day is a reminder that privilege exists in society and there is a long way to go for women to be equal and empowered.”

‘A relaxed games night tonight to celebrate all women’

In terms of the events that the society are hosting for International Women’s Day this year, they explained that they have three events on, the first of which was creating feminist murals about empowering women. In terms of future events, they said: “Tonight we are doing a relaxed games night tonight to celebrate all women and the women in our society as well as the work feminists are doing to encourage equality. Finally we are doing a collaboration with the Sociology society to celebrate the late bell hooks, who has left a legacy of being an amazing intersectional feminist.”

‘Read up on women and feminists from around the world’

The society said that the best way for students to get involved with International Women’s Day this year is to so show support and celebrate the own women+ in their lives. They said: “If you identify as a woman+ celebrate your own achievements as well as others. Read up on women and feminists from around the world, especially those who’s voices may not be heard.” They also recommended coming to their events, if you would like to learn more.

Of course, it is important to recognise that whilst one day of celebration is important, these are messages that need to be taken forwards into everyday life. When asked what is the best way for students to do this, the society said it is important for everyone to remember on a daily basis to “recognise their own privilege, whether that’s due to gender, race, ability, sexuality or class.”

They went on to recommend “students can also take time to research more about feminism and gender, especially within their own courses. And finally make space for women+ and let them be heard!”

Related articles recommended by this writer: