Here’s all the club themed nights Sugar should be doing

AKA, the ways to convince Lancs students to miss their Thursday lectures

Sugar is ultimately the best place for a student night out in Lancaster. Their signature three for £6 VK’s keep your Wednesday nights lively and your bank account happy. You will inevitably bump into someone from your seminars and dance like you’re best friends (even though it’s your first time actually talking), stay until closing, and then inhale a McDonalds on the way home.

But we’ve all been dragged out by our flatmates only to be bored stiff by the theme and not knowing any of the songs. Is it our own fault for not checking the theme? Definitely. Would we have still gone, knowing that the theme is not to our taste? Probably. To prevent these regrets, we’ve created this list of all the themes that Sugar should be doing.

Year six Disco

The best part of primary school was undoubtedly the year six leavers’ disco. It was a night fuelled by fruit juice, sweets and 2010’s pop music. This is a simple formula which Sugar can replicate. For one night only, 3 for £6 on fruit juices instead of VK’s, the welfare stand giving out free sweets while you queue, and only the cheesiest songs being played. Think Katy Perry’s “Firework” and Justin Bieber’s “Baby”. You might even see a dance-off or two.

Euphoria

Now that we’ve all had time to recover from the Season Two finale, we should take to Sugar to celebrate the insanity that is Euphoria. This theme relies more on the vibe than the music. You and your friends would wear your fanciest dresses and suits, the more sparkles, the better. Inside Sugar, a photo backdrop and decorations made entirely of metallic pinks and purples, lots of fairy lights, and a even makeup artist creating glittery makeup looks for everyone. You’d just have to watch that none of your friends turn into a Cassie for the night.

Emo Night

We’re not the only Lancs students who as teenagers lined our bedroom walls with posters of emo bands such as My Chemical Romance and Pierce the Veil. It’s time that us emo kids pull the band t-shirts and black skinny jeans out of our wardrobes and relive our teenage years in Sugar. Just imagine the chaos of being G noted in Sugar’s big room. Seriously, we would lose our minds.

Taylor Swift Night (Taylor’s Version)

Being in a club that is only playing Taylor Swift should literally be on everyone’s bucket lists. The night would start out energetic, playing hits such as 22 and ME!. With you and your friends screaming the lyrics into each other’s faces, one of them vlogging the whole event on their Instagram story. At some point you would find yourself passionately discussing gaylor theories in the smoking area. Then the night would wind down with Taylor’s more emotional songs such as “Fifteen” and “cowboy like me”. You end the night simultaneously crying and singing along to the 10 minute version of “All Too Well”. The perfect night.

Noughties Night

Nothing relieves the stress of looming coursework deadlines like nostalgia. For most Lancs students, the 2000’s represent exactly that. We were raised on the music of pop icons Britney Spears and Beyoncé. At sleepovers we watched Linsey Lohan movies. Our older cousins were constantly wearing low-rise jeans, matching juicy tracksuits and UGGs. The return of Y2K fashion means that we are ready for Sugar to return to the 2000’s and to experience the cheesiest night of our lives.

Which Sugar themed night would be your favourite from this list? Would you prefer to relive your primary school days dancing to Beat again by JLS or would you prefer to spend the night bopping to shake it off? Either way, Sugar needs to step up their game on their themed nights. The second room would always be packed.

Related articles recommended by this writer: