Sexpression Lancaster releases open letter calling for mandatory consent training at uni

‘A positive step forward in the effort to reducing sexual violence and harassment as part of the university experience’

Trigger warning: This article discusses sexual assault and sexual violence

Sexpression Lancaster, a non-profit organisation providing positive sex and relationship education, have released an open letter to Vice-Chancellor Professor Schofield to introduce mandatory consent training at Lancaster University.

In a Facebook post, Sexpression, Lancaster explained that there is “an epidemic of sexual violence at UK universities and Lancaster is not exempt. We believe mandatory consent training is a step towards addressing this incredibly serious issue.”

While “student-run media and online campaign pages have highlighted the individual stories of victims at the university”, the situation “remains sadly chronic”, therefore Sexpression Lancaster are demanding “the university to adopt mandatory online consent courses provided by sexual health charity Brook” which is a partner of Sexpression: UK.

via @lancastersexpression Instagram

The open letter begins by stating that “almost two-thirds of students have reported sexual harassment at UK universities” and that Lancaster had the “12th highest rate of sexual violence in a survey conducted jointly by the Student Room and Revolt Sexual Assault”.

Sexpression Lancaster said in the letter: “We believe doing so will be a positive step forward in the effort to reducing sexual violence and harassment as part of the university experience, something which far too many students face.”

The letter also highlights how the university has moved in a positive direction by implementing “a new sexual misconduct policy in 2020(3) and has introduced new training for those who handle reports of misconduct”, but they want the university “to go further”.

“Many people come to university severely lacking in adequate understandings of consent”, the letter stated. However, while consent classes are compulsory for freshers, they ” are not well sign-posted in freshers week and are insufficient in its provision.”

Sexpression Lancaster said: “If the university is serious about addressing the endemic issue of sexual misconduct, then it must also holistically address the root cause of much of university sexual harassment.”

Brooks, the course Sexpression Lancaster want the university to follow, covers many different areas of consent, such as “the meaning of consent, myths and the law, communicating consent, consent scenarios, and help and support.”

The letter states: “Implementing resources like Brook’s consent course offers the opportunity to change the culture at universities and make them a safer place for students.”

The course will then allow students to gain “an understanding of the law but also their ethical obligations and factors that can affect a person’s ability to consent. It will also help people to communicate about consent with their partners and will provide advice on what to do if a person or their peers experience harassment or violence.”

Lancaster University was approached for comment but did not respond.

You can sign the open letter here.

Related articles recommended by this writer