Plans for Lancaster University solar farm set for approval

The solar farm will aims to meet Lancaster University’s energy needs

Lancaster University has pushed for proposed plans to be approved for a solar farm that would meet the University’s energy needs.

The university has created a website explaining the proposal, featuring images representing how the farm will look.

The site will comprise approximately 36,000 panels which will be capable of generating roughly 16.5 MW.

The proposal is set to build on the agricultural land at Forest Hills and will be accessible via Hazelrigg Lane, though the University states: “Following construction, there will be limited vehicle movements associated with the solar farm”.

The university explains that: “Each photovoltaic panel will be mounted above the ground with a gap of 3m between each row of panels to allow for planting and wildlife to be supported as part of the proposal.

“The electricity generated will contribute directly to meeting the University’s additional energy demand and significantly contribute to its targets around becoming carbon neutral.”

The farm would be able to save approximately 2,654 tonnes of Carbon Dioxide emissions each year.

After declaring a climate crisis in November 2020, Lancaster University committed to becoming carbon neutral for energy emissions by 2030 and carbon neutral overall by 2035.

The proposal states that the site will include boundaries of hedgerows and fencing “which reflect the rural character of the area”, as well as a Solar PV Farm substation. CCTV will be in operation, though the site will not be lit.

The application for approval is visible on Lancaster City Council’s website, where members of the public can leave feedback for the council on the plans.

Alternatively, comments can be sent by email to [email protected], including the reference: 21/01247/FUL.

Related articles recommended by this writer