We watched Netflix romcoms and put the characters in Lancaster colleges

The number of County boys was concerning

Netflix is well known for churning out movie after movie, which is exceptionally predictable. The characters are in a (usually American) high school. The boy plays sports, the girl is wildly unpopular, and Noah Centineo and Jordan Fisher just seem to keep rocking up. (Not that anyone is complaining, particularly.)

Yes, they aren’t good, but we forced ourselves to rewatch them, just in time for Valentine’s Day, so that we could sort the characters based on college stereotypes. We couldn’t stomach all of them, and the volume was just too high. But we hit the staples of a Netflix rom-com diet. You’re welcome.

To All The Boys

Peter – Fylde. Fully Fyde. Have you seen the amount of Lacrosse kit this boy wears? He would be wearing his SportLancaster kit constantly, rarely leaving Fylde bar regardless of whether there’s a match on or not. Sporty college all the way.

Lara Jean – Have you seen this girl’s room? With the amount of stuff she has, she’d need the luxury of a superior ensuite. Cartmel. All the way. Plus, she would probably love the vibe of Barker House Farm.

John Ambrose – We debated for a while over this one but eventually settled on Pendle. We’re not sure why, but we felt like this was the right choice. Don’t come at us. Pendle needs a win.

Kitty – Grizedale, all the way. She would thrive in a townhouse, surrounded by people and noise. This is her ideal environment. You just know she’d be the party queen and yet would still get every essay in on time and cook every night. She would rock a townhouse.

Margot – Cartmel. Tucked away, quiet, perfect for studying, with the added enticement of Barker House if a change of scenery is needed. She would moan about how far away it is from the library but would go every day and put everyone to shame.

The Kissing Booth

Elle – Lonsdale. We watched three movies with this girl, and the entire time the impression we got was that she’s trying to keep up with everyone, be it her boyfriend who rides a motorbike and goes to Harvard or her best friend who has the nicest car we have ever seen in a teen movie. Lonsdale all the way.

Lee – This sweetheart is so Furness. End of story.

Noah – COUNTY. He would live in a County townhouse, go to zero lectures, and always have more money than his loan, but no one knows how.

Always Be My Maybe

Sasha – She has just the right confidence level to thrive in Fylde. You just know that she would be rocking the dance floor at Sugar every Wednesday and would be the last to leave at the end of the night. She has the right level of assuredness to flirt with EVERYONE and manage to get away with it.

Marcus – Furness. He’s a bit too quiet, and we felt like Furness undersell themselves, just like Marcus does. He’s understated and yet still lovable. Marcus would LOVE the vibes at Trevor.

Sierra Burgess is a Loser

Sierra – This girl screams Bowland energy. End of story, no questions asked.

Jamey – Here we have another incarnation of Noah Centineo, and yet again, we are sticking him in Fylde! For the exact same reasons as last time, too.

Veronica – The original party girl, Veronica, would thrive in a Grizedale townhouse. She would love the people, the community vibe, the intrigue, the gossip and the parties that come with it.

Dan – Strangely enough, also Grizedale, purely because he is outgoing and sociable enough to thrive in a townhouse. He is just chaotic enough to keep the party going and would love all of the drama that would ensue!

Isn’t it Romantic

Natalie – Pendle energy. She really does have no idea whether she is coming or going, rather like Pendle have no idea which side of campus they are on. She always means well, though, and is always very sweet.

Blake – And here we meet the romcom County boy. Too good to be true on paper. The reality ends up hitting… a little different.

Josh – I mean, you’ve got to love him for keeping on trying, but he has no personality whatsoever, hence the fact that we think that he is a Bowland boy, through and through.

Tall Girl

Jodie – With her reserved and slightly timid nature, living in the shadow of her sister, Jodie would fit with Lonsdale perfectly: always in the shadow of the brand new Cartmel, she is used to having moments of blazing glory only to hide away again for most of the time.

Jack – Pendle! He’s a sweetheart through and through – nerdy, caring, loving, and so protective it can’t help but melt your heart.

Harper – Popular and shiny, with hundreds of friends, Harper would be a Grizedale queen. She would always have perfect notes, know everyone on her course by name, and seems to be recognised by everyone on a night out. She would have this thing worked out.

Stig – County all the way. This entire man’s personality revolves around the fact that he is a popular, attractive student. Need we say much else?

Work It

Quinn – Cartmel. She’s a try-hard, she wants to do well, and she is willing to work for it. Just like Cartmel, students are willing to walk to get anywhere.

Jake – Throughout the film, he struck me as just being a little bit out of it: he wasn’t in high school like everyone else, he didn’t know what was going on; he’s in Lonsdale.

Julliard – County! He chose the college purely based on proximity to the LICA building ad rolls out of bed just before his classes. You just know he studies theatre or film or some kind of arts degree and is permanently on the dance floor at Sugar.

Jaz – Jaz was never out of sportswear, hence the fact that we said Fylde. We thought she would be totally up for trying all the sports, make all of the teams, dominate in all of them, and still make every single social without fail.

Related articles recommended by this writer