‘Understanding a topic is easier than memorising’: Lancs students react to online exams

‘It measures analysis which, in my opinion, is far more important than memory’

Lancaster University recently announced that 2022 summer exams will only be conducted in-person for a select number of departments and for all other subjects written exams will be on hosted online.

This has been met with mixed reactions from students. Many have the opinion that online exams are too much like coursework and those who thrive in a time-pressured exam setting are disadvantaged. On the other hand, having the freedom to work on an exam which focuses on technique opposed to memory is a comfort for quite a few students.

‘Online exams are too similar to coursework’

One student told us that they feel like online exams work best for those who do well at coursework. They said: “I feel online exams are too similar to coursework so favour people who are good at coursework”. They went onto explain that they are “relatively better at exams” so felt as if they would perform better if the exams were in timed conditions in a hall.

‘Online exams work in benefit of essay based subjects’

Another student explained that they believed that the different exam scenarios would benefit students differently based on their department. They explained that they “think online exams work in benefit of essay based subjects” as “you have longer time to answer and have your notes open you have to critically assess what to include opposed to using your memory recall which will provide you with limited information.”

They continued to discuss the benefits of online exams and said: “It measures analysis which, in my opinion, is far more important than memory”. The student then went on to state that they believe “in person exams may be more geared towards STEM/languages” though ultimately that “there shouldn’t be a ‘one size fits all approach’ when it comes to examination”.

‘Understanding a topic is easier than memorising’

A third year Biology with Psychology student explained that online exams can allow students to do better. They said: “Understanding a topic is easier than memorising and if you understand a topic well and write well these online exams have the potential to raise a persons average substantially”. They continued: “If your memory is poor you get shot down for it. Bearing in mind we don’t have end of module tests or anything like so our final exams include 10 lectures from each modules start from the first module taken in Oct”.

They added: “A person taking biological science having more LEC modules with less Biology modules would have the upper hand of where to concentration” though ultimately concluded that “if the regulatory bodies decide online exams are fine then definitely overall it’s a great initiative.”

‘Third year students have been through a lot’

One student reached out and told us about how third years in particular should be able to complete their degrees as simply as possible after Covid interfering with most of their time at uni. They said: “Third year students have been through a lot and should be allowed to complete their degrees in as simple a process as possible.”

They continued by explaining their understanding of a third year student’s experience of exams at university due to the Covid-19 Pandemic. They said: “First year exams (effectively practice exams) were cancelled due to Covid, second year exams were mostly online. To throw third years into disarray by forcing them to do in person exams that they haven’t had experience of at university seems not only unfair but strangely cruel.”

‘I was satisfied with the recent university’s announcement’

Another student expressed a very similar opinion explaining that “after experiencing my first ever online exams in Year One and noticing how little they affected me emotionally and how effective I was in my methods… I was satisfied with the recent university’s announcement that they would be taken online again.” They prefaced this opinion by stating that “as an easily overwhelmed, anxious person the chances to show my full potential definitely rise if I’m in the right environment, a quiet safe space secluded from distractions.”

‘In most careers you won’t necessarily need to memorise every little detail’

Another Lancaster student told us that online exams replicate work place scenarios. They said: “I think in most careers you won’t necessarily need to memorise every little detail. As long as you have an understanding of the topics as a whole, being able to look up things like key dates or names is representative of a workplace.”

The student went on to explain that with some particular subjects and professions memorising more of the syllabus is effective “unless you study law or medicine, where you definitely need to know everything off by heart, I think online exams are the way to go!”

What was your reaction to the university’s announcement that most exams will be online? Do you benefit from having more time to think opposed to relying on memory? Or are you someone who prefers in-person exams as you don’t study an essay based subject?

Related articles recommended by this writer: