‘We accept that spiking has likely happened on our premises’: LUSU on reported spikings in Sugar

‘Getting towards safety is about accepting reality rather than denying it’

LUSU has announced in a Facebook post they accept that spikings are likely to have happened in The Sugarhouse and want to put more measures in place to provide more safety for students.

SU VP Welfare Amy Merchant and Advocacy and Governance Manager Chris Cottam spoke to WonkHE about advocating for change around spiking.

LUSU held a training session for staff about spiking and harassment due to the boycott last Wednesday.

In the article, they stated that no nightclub is free from spiking. They said: “We accept that spiking has likely happened on our premises – no nightclub can say with confidence that spiking has not taken place in their venue, and getting towards safety is about accepting reality rather than denying it.”

When The Sugarhouse closed last Wednesday in solidarity with the Girls Night In boycott, The Sugarhouse staff underwent Drinkaware Training.

They said: “On the night we took the opportunity to carry out refresher training with 50 staff which followed the nationwide Drinkaware training. We covered some of the official Good Night Out training, which is to understand what is meant by harassment and to help staff feel comfortable and confidently receive a disclosure whilst at work.”

The Sugarhouse has reviewed its practices to provide “the safest possible environment for our students”.

Additionally, they said: “Staff are trained to collect unattended glasses and be alert to suspicious behaviour around the venue and at the bars.”

The core team are First Aid trained, and “Door Supervisors are alert for suspicious behaviour and are trained to look after customers who are unwell.”

If anyone is caught spiking someone’s drink, “they would be reported to the Police, barred from the venue for life and also reported to the Deanery at the university.”

They also expressed support for those who boycotted last week. They said: “We are also appreciative of all the students who participated in the boycott, many of whom organised their own nights in as part of the campaign.

“Students’ unions will continue to support the incredible work of the campaigners to make sure that their campaign is a success and that they drive the change we all want to see in the local community.”

Related articles recommended by this writer:

Lancaster clubs respond to boycott amid national rise in spiking

13 per cent of Lancs students say they’ve been spiked since clubs reopened, survey finds

Lancaster societies cancel socials to support Girls Night In