Roses Unlocked: Lancaster and York come together to support student mental health

Lancaster University will be fundraising collaboration with York University

LUSU has recently announced that as a part of Roses Unlocked, Lancaster and York have created an initiative for students who need mental health support due to the pandemic.

Lancaster and York are competing over who raises the most money to fund the mental health charity “Lancashire Mind”, which focuses on improving mental health and wellbeing in the area.

According to the Students’ Union’s post, a report submitted in June 2020 tells us that 51 per cent of people asked said that their mental health is poor, and 74 per cent of people said that their mental health has worsened due to the pandemic.

People aged 18-24 have been reported to have worse mental health and wellbeing than any other age group.

The post also reported that: “University students followed a similar pattern; nearly three quarters (73 per cent) of students said that their mental health declined during lockdown.”

The Students’ Union asks that people show support by wearing red, cheering athletes virtually, and donating money to the Lancaster Roses JustGiving.

SU VP Sport Paul McCarthy said: “After the effect the last year of inactivity and isolation has had on student mental health, to be able to use the Roses Unlocked event to help raise money for such an important cause is an incredible opportunity. Anything given by students will be indefinitely appreciated, and I can’t wait for us to show our Lancaster community spirit throughout this weekend.”

Featured image credit: Lancaster University Students’ Union

Related articles recommended by this writer:

‘There’s no accountability for the lecturers’: Lancs students respond to delayed marking

The bigoted responses to renaming Sugar is only one part of racism in Lancaster

Lancaster University Library opens new extension