Here’s all the good things about online learning at Lancaster uni

Might as well look on the bright side

We are now in week 13 of term and online learning has become something we have all come to know and tolerate. Some may love it and some may hate it, but either way, everyone can agree we just have to get on with it.

We all miss the social side of in-person teaching. Imagine being able to see different faces other than the same few you see every day only because you live with them, or having somewhere to go each day that isn’t your bedroom or kitchen. Online learning is going to be the new normal for a while so here are all the positive things about it to help you make the most of a bad situation.

No more incomplete notes

With lectures now being online the magic of pause and rewind now exists, which means saying goodbye to incomplete notes filled with half-sentences that make absolutely no sense because you didn’t quite have time to write that down before the lecturer whizzes onto the next slide.

Did you miss the end of that sentence? No problem just rewind. Is the lecturer talking way faster than your fingers can possibly type? Just hit pause and take a breath.

Honestly, I’m dreading the day when we go back to actually being able to sit in George Fox because I don’t think my brain is going to be able to cope with all that information just being thrown at me. I can’t believe I was ever actually able to do it.

You can wear whatever you like

If you aren’t leaving your house there is no one to judge your outfit choices. Do you want to stay in your pyjamas all day? Go for it, after all, who’s gonna stop you? You are under no obligation to look even remotely presentable while sitting at your desk (or your bed, no judgment here) all day watching those pre-recorded lecturers or attending those online seminars.

Gone is the ordeal of travelling to campus

With that massive to-do list piling up and those coursework deadlines approaching anything you can avoid that is going to take up those precious minutes in your day is a bonus. Luckily with online learning, those living off-campus no longer have to take time from their day travelling to and from campus. Those precious moments you spend sitting on the 1A, or even worse the 100, could be better spent actually getting work done or even just watching Netflix (because relaxation is productive).

Not only does not having to travel to and from campus save you time, but it also saves you a bit of money. You no longer have to worry about looking for the best deal on a bus pass or asking for the under 19-day rider just to save that 50p. Put all that saved money to the side and instead treat yourself to something pretty.

Too tired to really pay attention? No problem

We all know the feeling of wanting to be invisible while sitting in a seminar room, trying to make yourself look as small as possible so you aren’t forced to open your mouth and speak. Well, online learning just makes this even more achievable. With your mic and camera off, its almost like you aren’t there at all and if worse comes to worst and you hear your name being called there is always that pesky wifi to get you out of speaking.

You can eat what you want when you want

The way I see it being in your house where food is freely available all day can never be a bad thing. You no longer have to think about what food you are going to have to bring to campus that day and all those annoying questions are no longer relevant, will it travel well? Do I need to heat it up? Where is my tupperware?

You may also end up saving a bit of money, for those of you who opted to just buy a GoBurrito or a Greggs every time you’re were on campus will no longer have that temptation and will once again make quite a saving from just eating the food already in your fridge. Even if you do find yourself on campus one day that massive Greggs queue will no longer exist so it really is a win-win.

You are your own boss

With lectures being pre-recorded your timetable may be looking a lot emptier but this just means you’re in charge of your day. We all know the feeling, you go to do some work for that particular module you just can’t be asked with and your brain just says no. Not having such a strict timetable allows you to create your own based on what you are vibing with. Not feeling that lecture today? No problem just move onto something else and come back to it when you’re in the mood.

This could mean you end up getting more out the task you are doing since you are mentally prepared to take it on, instead of half paying attention which ultimately means you will have to come back to it again at some point to figure out what the point was in the first place.

9am who is she?

Without lectures to attend those 9ams spent sitting in Faraday surrounding by a room of people who can’t stop yawning are no longer a frequent occurrence. Even for those unlucky enough to have 9am seminars this year can still appreciate having one this year is way better than last year. You no longer have to give yourself time to get dressing and get onto campus, all you have to do is just wake up and find your laptop without having to leave the warmth of your bed.