Lancaster University continues blended learning despite Tier Three restrictions

‘We will be continuing with our blended learning and teaching approach for the time being’

Lancashire has been placed into a Tier Three lockdown due to the numbers of COVID-19 cases rising exponentially throughout the county, which came into affect from midnight last night for the foreseeable future. 

A new email to students from Lancaster University on behalf of Vice-Chancellor, Professor Andy Schofield, has stated that the university will continue blended learning and will be reviewing these arrangements throughout the Tier Three lockdown. 

In the email sent to students, it states: “We have received official guidance from the government today about the Lancashire Tier Three local restrictions. I’m writing to you to explain how this will impact University operations. The Tier Three local restrictions come into force from midnight tonight, Friday 16th October.

“In line with local government guidance, we will be continuing with our blended learning and teaching approach for the time being, but will keep these arrangements under frequent review. Guidance shared by Lancashire County Council earlier today initially suggested that universities should move to online teaching; however this has since been withdrawn.

“A lot of work has taken place to make campus safe, introducing measures to ensure social distancing and hygiene. While we are confident in these measures, we all have an individual responsibility to do our part. The whole University community needs to work together against the spread of Covid-19.”

The university has emphasised individual responsibility of the students to do their part and work together to fight the spread of COVID-19.