1,000 Lancaster University students are self-isolating

Over 100 students have tested positive for coronavirus

There are currently around 1,000 students in self-isolation at Lancaster University, with over 100 confirmed coronavirus cases recorded in the past week.

A majority of these confirmed cases are from those living on campus, the biggest increase occurring on Tuesday and Wednesday of this week.

600 students are self-isolating on campus, and a further 400 international students are having to quarantine upon arriving in the UK from their respective countries.

A spokesperson for the university said: “Around 600 students are self-isolating on campus in line with our COVID requirements. There are also approximately 400 overseas students who are coming towards the end of quarantine restrictions to self-isolate.”

It is likely that there are even more cases than this, as Lancaster University has only published those which have been reported. The university website states: “Due to the time it takes to gather and confirm any new positive test results received over the weekend, they may not appear in initial updates provided at the start of the week.”

Recommended articles by this writer:

I came back to Lancs and tested positive for COVID-19: Please take this pandemic seriously

Lancs Labour Club are providing £10 emergency food boxes for self-isolating students

Petition to stop Lancs uni from profiting off self-isolating students has over 1,790 signatures