Meet Lancaster’s 93% club set to enhance the uni experience for state-educated students

‘For many state-educated individuals, university is their best and only chance at social mobility’

The Lancaster Tab sat down with Jamie Rogers and asked him about Lancaster’s 93% Club.

What is the 93% Club?

“The 93% Club is is a society which works above class and political divides to enhance the experiences of state-educated individuals. 93% of students are state-educated but the proportion of state-school students at leading universities is significantly less than this.”

What are the benefits of the 93% club being student led?

“The original 93% club was founded back in 2016 at the University of Bristol as a society wanting to tackle social mobility and surrounding issues. Due to us being student led, we hope to provide our members with an experience separate from their academic lives in order to excel after university. We do this by providing skills and contacts to make them well-rounded individuals, as well as creating events to tailor to our members needs.”

Why is there a state-school focus?

“Those who have been privately educated are more likely to have more opportunities regarding work experience, mock interviews as well as paid/unpaid internships. They have more exposure to the world of work through personal connections.”

What is the demand for a Lancaster branch?

“Although Lancaster’s student population is 90% state-educated (which is one of the highest rates amongst top  universities), this majority is still less prepared for the world of work than their privately educated counter-parts. This figure cannot be said for other universities as it doesn’t show the whole story because students from grammar schools are over-represented in this category. I believe that most, if not all, universities should have a 93% Club or equivalent. For many state- educated individuals, university is their best and only chance at social mobility. A society like the 93% Club aids them in building their network and thus increasing their employability.

What would be the best way to encourage state-schooled students to aim high?

“The best way I see to encourage people to aim high is to give them the resources they need so their ambitions seem within reach. On top of that, I would say the best advice I can give is to start developing your skills and networks as soon as possible (it’s never too late!) You need to be consistent. Make that LinkedIn page you’ve been putting off. Take that online course you’ve been contemplating. Find professionals who work in the fields you’re interested in. Start small but start now.”

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDl_45OhYYC/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Exec roles for this society are now open until the 16th August at 5pm. Go check out 93clublancaster on Instagram and follow the link in their bio to apply!

Recommended articles by this writer:

Meet Charli, autisitc and disabled activist and Lancaster uni student

LUSU budget may be cut by up to a third in the 2020/21 academic year

In pictures: Protest in the streets for NHS pay rise