Breaking News

Lancaster University postpones Summer graduation ceremonies

‘I feel like everything I was looking forward to has been cancelled’

Lancaster University announced today that all Summer graduation ceremonies will be postponed due to the current Coronavirus pandemic.

Graduation ceremonies for all faculties and colleges were supposed to be held between the 14th and 16th of July, with some students having already paid £100 to hire their gowns. However, in light of the recent pandemic and government advice, the university has decided to move the ceremonies.

In a statement released today, the University said: “We have taken the difficult decision to postpone Summer Graduation ceremonies, due to take place between Tuesday 14th July and Friday 17th July 2020, to December 2020. We have prepared FAQs where you will find answers to many of your questions about this postponement. We will provide more information as and when it is available.”

We spoke to a Lancaster final year to find out how they felt about graduation ceremonies being postponed: “I understand why its happened, but I feel like everything I was looking forward to has been cancelled. I was so excited to graduate with my friends, party in Sugar and have the full cap and gown. I feel more sorry for international students who may have already booked flights back or accommodation for their family for graduation though, that must be the worst.”