All the exams at Lancaster affected by coronavirus, with live updates

Many exams are being cancelled or moved online

Following the closure of Lancaster University due to the coronavirus pandemic, exams that were due to take place have been affected.

Vice-Chancellor Steve Bradley announced in a statement regarding the closure: “Whilst no member of the campus community has tested positive for the virus, this decision has been taken to safeguard the health and wellbeing of our students and staff.”

Here are all exams at Lancaster University which are known to be affected. The list will updated each time a new exam is cancelled, made online, or we are made aware of such.

Has your exam been affected? Send us the email you received confirming this and we will add it to this list. Contact us via Facebook or Instagram – @thelancastertab 

Languages and cultures

The department of Languages and Cultures have told students: “We will try to conduct all assessments next week (Week 20) by remote means. This means the format of the assessments may be changed. Your tutors will be in touch.

From Monday 16 March all coursework assessments should be submitted electronically ONLY. There will be no paper submission. This includes dissertations.”

Law, first year

The department of  Law have moved the LAW.104 exam online for first year students. In an announcement shared with Law students it states: “Following the decision to cancel all face-to-face teaching next week, and to make all submissions of coursework/ assessments electronic, I wanted to confirm a couple of points regarding the take home exam next week.

“This will still be going ahead as planned. You will now only need to submit an ELECTRONIC copy on Moodle, and NOT a hard copy in person.

“In the general advice for the take home exam on Moodle, it states: “There is no need for hard copy submission this year due to the coronavirus.”

English literature and Creative writing

The department of English literature and creative writing has implemented changes to assessment dependent on the module. In an email released to students of the department it states: “These arrangements will get us to the end of this term; if the situation extends into next term, we will of course send you updated plans nearer the time. All coursework due in week 20 will be submitted only in electronic form. You are not required also to submit a print copy at the moment.”

For the ENGL100 module, in class tests have been changed to two essays. Other modules have been reduced to being submitted only online.

Accounting and finance, first year

The department of Accounting and Finance have cancelled their first year AcF 100 test. In an email sent to students it stated: “The AcF 100 week 20 test will not be going ahead. The assessment weighting will be shared between the other AcF 100 coursework weightings. The summer examination will contain a Finance section so your revision will be necessary at a later date.”

One Accounting and finance student told The Lancaster Tab: “Been given an average weighted grade for my exam that was supposed to be today. Thanks to Corona I passed an exam I was definitely going to fail.”

Environmental science, first year

The department of Environmental science has cancelled the LEC.174 end of module test scheduled for Wednesday 18th March, telling students in an email that “The material that would have been covered in your End-of-Module test will still be covered in your University LEC.174 Exam Paper in the summer (or whenever it runs).”

Maths, second year

In an email sent to students from the Department of Mathematics, assessment due at the end of Lent term has been moved to online only. In the email it states: “It is expected that most students will take a photo of their handwritten work, and upload that photo, which is fine, provided the work is clearly visible.”

Biology, second year

In an email sent to Biology students, the department announced: “As you will have seen from the recent university communication, all teaching events scheduled for next week (Week 20) will not take place. This includes the End of Module Test scheduled for BIOL284 on Wednesday 18th March. This may be rescheduled to a later date.”