Breaking News

Sugar to close due to coronavirus pandemic

An email was sent to all staff

University concerns regarding the spread of coronavirus have led to the closure of the Sugarhouse for the final week of term.

The closure, which will  take immediate effect, comes shortly after the university’s recent decision to halt in person teaching on campus for the foreseeable future.

In an email sent to Sugarhouse staff it states: “In response to the spread of Coronavirus across the country, the decision was taken by the Students’ Union to close the Sugarhouse for the immediate future.

“This is not a decision that was taken lightly, but we believe it to be in the best interests of the health and safety of students who attend and staff who work there.”

The email states: “The decision also reflects the University’s decision to encourage ‘social distancing’ by ceasing lectures for the moment to help prevent the disease. The Students’ Union will keep this decision under review and as soon as it is felt it is safe to reopen, we will do so.”

Sugarhouse and the Students’ Union are expected to make a statement later this afternoon to announce the closure shortly, however staff of the Sugarhouse will still be paid.

The email continues: “This information will be going live later this afternoon, until you see it on social media please can you keep it to yourselves. We will be honouring all rota’d shifts for the rest of the term, so you will all be paid for any shifts you will miss due to the closure up until Friday 20th March.”

The decision to close the Sugarhouse follows shortly after the University’s decision to halt in person teaching with immediate effect, however whether the Sugarhouse will re-open next term remains uncertain: “We’ve made this decision following the decision of the University to suspend teaching next week, so I am unsure at the minute if this will effect next term.”