Image may contain: Word, Machine, Wheel, Crowd, Transportation, Bus, Vehicle, Banner, Chair, Furniture, Text, Human, Person

UCU members at Lancs uni are striking again this February

Lancaster University students will be affected

74 universities across the UK will be hit with another 14 days of strikes this February and March, including Lancaster University.

The strike action, which was announced yesterday, will commence on Thursday 20 February, through to Friday 13 March.

The reasons for the strike centre around the maintainability of the Universities Superannuation Scheme (USS) and the rising costs for members, as well as the universities' failure to make sufficient improvements on issues with pay, equality and workloads.

Last year, UCU members at 60 universities went on strike for eight days in November and December, affecting around one million students. These strikes will affect 14 more universities and around 200,000 more students.

Image may contain: Human, Person, Bus, Transportation, Vehicle, Banner, Text

"We have been clear from the outset that we would take serious and sustained industrial action if that was what was needed. As well as the strikes next month, we are going to ballot members to ensure that we have a fresh mandate for further action to cover the rest of the academic year if these disputes are not resolved."

The official strikes dates will be as follows:

Thursday 20 & Friday 21 February

Monday 24, Tuesday 25 & Wednesday 26 February

Monday 2, Tuesday 3, Wednesday 4 & Thursday 5 March

Monday 9, Tuesday 10, Wednesday 11, Thursday 12 & Friday 13 March