Image may contain: Lab Coat, Clinic, Coat, Clothing, Apparel, Person, Human

Lancaster University issues statement on coronavirus risk

No cases are suspected

Lancaster University has issued a statement regarding reported student worries of coronavirus on campus.

A statement from the University says: "There are no suspected or confirmed cases at the University of Lancaster. Neither the NHS or Public Health England have indicated they have information that there may be suspected or confirmed cases amongst the Lancaster staff or students."

Fears regarding the risk came from screenshots from a group chat sent to The Lancaster Tab stating: "Students from Wuhan have already entered the uni. There is no use to block the city now, they entered this month."

As of January 24, Chinese officials have said at least 26 people have died, all within the Hubei Province of Wuhan. The Chinese government instituted a lockdown on the country, affecting 33 million people, while the UK Cobra committee has convened to discuss the crisis, according to the Guardian.

Image may contain: Advertisement, Brochure, Paper, Poster, Flyer, License, Document, Driving License, Person, Human, Text

Another screenshot reads: "I couldn't understand why people from Wuhan are still coming to Lancaster during this period – they will be using the cutlery of their friends, staying in their dorms… especially the person who keeps her Wuhan friend is refusing to tell her flatmates.

"Is it this hard to reject her stay?"

Image may contain: Word, Menu, Page, Text, Flyer, Brochure, Paper, Advertisement, Poster

The coronavirus is a virus with symptoms ranging from the common cold to Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome.

Lancaster University have said: "While it is currently business as usual at Lancaster University, a University team is continuing to closely monitor the global situation with the Wuhan coronavirus and advice to students and staff is being issued as it becomes available from the World Health Organisation and Public Health England. A dedicated mailbox has been set up to support students and staff with specific queries.

"We have promoted general advice which is to follow the public health guidance and good levels of personal hygiene and will direct students to the NHS helpline if they are worried about symptoms. We are aware that the situation is evolving quickly and we are reviewing our response in line with any updates to national or international advice.

"There are no suspected or confirmed cases at the University of Lancaster. Neither the NHS or Public Health England have indicated they have information that there may be suspected or confirmed cases amongst the Lancaster staff or students.

"We have no information to suggest the risk here differs from that across the UK more broadly and in keeping with advice we do not currently have quarantine measures in place.

"We are working closely with the authorities and responding to any queries or concerns from students."