Image may contain: Girl, Woman, People, Costume, Face, Female, Shoe, Footwear, Apparel, Clothing, Human, Person

What Lancaster College you should pick, based solely on vibe

Take this very seriously

If you are a prospective student of Lancaster, the college system may seem a little confusing and daunting. Lancaster Uni has nine colleges in total and form an important part of your experience at Lancaster – most importantly determining what extravs (end of year college parties) you get priority ticket sales for.

To make it a little easier for you to make the choice, we made a guide to picking your Lancs college so you don't have to make nine endless pros and cons lists.

County

lancaster college county cartmel furness grizedale grad pendle bowland lonsdale lancaster university lancs first year fresher student prospectus halls

Some County students really living it up at pres

County is the biggest college, and is mainly made up of lazy theatre and English Lit students who don't want to move very far for lectures. Check out these pros and cons to really see if County is the right place for you:

Pros

Most importantly, County has Townhouses, so if you are up for a good time and a lot of friends, then County is the right choice for you.

Something that not many people seem to actually know about is the County Diner breakfast, which is a gem that will cure any hangover.

Cons

Arguably County doesn't have the best bar, it's more of a study space and hang out, nothing special.

County students think they are the best because they are the biggest college. Though this is probably true, they do let it get to their heads.

Cartmel

Cartmel is one of the colleges in the South Campus (far away, long to get to, need we say more…) with fancy en-suite rooms. Time to decide whether it is worth the trek.

Pros

Barker House Farm has lots of bar sports facilities so if you are into a cheeky bit of pool every now and then, this is the place for you.

The roast dinner served on a Sunday is also pretty decent and affordable, so if a roast dinner is more important to you than being able to roll out of bed to your lectures every morning, then Cartmel is a good choice.

Cons

If you aren't really into exercise then this college is not for you. The walk onto campus is a long one and you might as well be walking from town. Deffo not a vibe.

People will pity you every time you mention which college you are at, at least in first year, because they will literally wake up five minutes before lectures.

Bowland

Bowland is bang in the middle of campus, which comes with many pros and cons:

Pros

Being in the centre of campus, a Bowland student has quick access to all the food outlets as well as the library (if that's what you're into). Most importantly, you will be right on top of Greggs. Who doesn't want to be on top of Greggs.

The pie and pint deal is unbeatable.

Cons

The accommodation is actually pretty spread out so you might feel a bit confused as to where you really belong.

Grad

Not much can be said because if you are a Grad, you will be in Grad. You don't have a choice. Sorry but the walk is as far as Cartmel. Enjoy.

Pros

Full of fellow grad students, so you won't feel too old.

Cons

Is pretty much as far out as Cartmel.

Furness

Furness' slogan is "Everywhere else is nowhere". Pretty deep so take what you will from that. It is the smallest college on campus so if you are looking for a big selection of friends then this won't be the best option for you.

Pros

Small, could be said to be like a big family. Probably not ideal when you start on the college incest.

Cons

It can be hard to find Furness because it is somewhere between Fylde and Sultans (beautiful late night takeaway outlet) or just not really anywhere particularly distinctive.

Lonsdale

Lonsdale is another South campus college, so you really need to be sure that you are ready for the walk if you make this choice:

Pros

Lonsdale is one of the founding colleges of Lancaster Uni so if you are a Lonsdale student you will get to take part in Founders every June, which is defo good fun.

All fancy en-suite rooms, if you are all about that life of luxury.

Cons

Another trek, only a tiny bit closer to main campus than Cartmel and it hurts to be that far away from Greggs.

Fylde

Fylde is small, orange and sporty, so if you consider yourself a gym lad then this is the place for you.

Pros

Pretty decent sports bar with some properly decent burgers for a properly decent price.

Fylde is relatively central (well, compared to Cartmel anything is central) and is one of the closest colleges to Sultans, which is the most important place at Lancs Uni.

Nice grassy area outside the accommodation which is nice when the Lancaster weather actually behaves.

Cons

Pretty average sized so lacks the identity of either a cute cozy Lancaster college or a big social Lancaster college.

Another college that is pretty hard to find, can be confused with Furness and is actually further down the South spine than you think.

Pendle

Pendle is another relatively small college, so doesn't really rank very high as a college in many people's eyes.

Pros

Pendle, though small, pulls off some mighty extravs at the end of the year, so if you don't mind being tucked away until the chaos of extrav, Pendle is your college.

The area outside Pendle Rooms is perfect for events so we've got to give them that.

Cons

It might not be Cartmel, but Pendle is actually quite a trek, so don't be fooled and pick Pendle if you are a lazy person.

The logo is a witch, so people might think that you practice witchcraft or are in a cult.

Grizedale

Grizedale is one of the further out colleges, but notoriously has one of the best bars.

Pros

Two for one cocktails every day of the week can't really be beaten and the vibes in Grizedale's bar are far superior to any other college bar.

Grizedale has a reputation for being the party college, with Townhouses of their own, and definitely puts on one of the best extravs at the end of the year. Grizedale is definitely a good pick if you're coming to uni for a good time, not necessarily a long time.

Cons

Grizedale loves the sesh, so sleep might not happen very regularly for you if you pick this college.