Tributes paid to Lancaster student who died after car crash

Joe Parks was in a coma for two years

Tributes have begun pouring in for Lancaster university student Joe Parks, who passed away after a tragic car crash.

Joe had been in a coma since the horrific crash more than two years ago, and passed away in hospital on Saturday.

Joe, originally from Thornton, studied at Lancaster prior to the crash. The son of Aston Villa’s goalkeeping coach Tony Parks, Joe was left with serious injuries after the collision on the M6 in February 2013.

Police explained a 26-year-old man was on the way home from work at around 7.10pm when his silver BMW swerved off the carriageway just before the exit slip road at Junction 29 Clayton Brook.

The car then rolled several times down the hedge before coming to a halt.

Aston Villa tweeted support for their coach’s son, saying: “Aston Villa would like to send its deepest condolences to Tony Parks and his family following the sad passing of his son Joe.”

The world of football came out in full support of the former Lancaster University student.

A minutes silence is expect to be held at Villa’s final home game of the season against Burnley on Sunday May, 24.