How to ace a graduate application
An idiot’s guide to getting a job
1. Stick a pun in there – it pretty much guarantees an interview.
2. Scan the advertisement for key words and make it apply to you – even if it’s a lie
* DISCLAIMER: don’t actually write this, it’s a badly thought out example…
3. Make a new email account to be proud of
– and get rid of something that could be mistaken for a porn name
4. Get some work experience
Don’t expect to walk into a top job after getting a 1st class degree if your CV is empty*. Employers want to know the candidate has thought through their career path for a while. A CV that explains how many trophies you won in school is USELESS.
4. Get the CV checked over by a Tor the career gal at KU
She’s got all the knowledge for CV and cover letters – Kingston have got something right. If not, at least get a mate to check it over. Someone who misses out words or letters ain’t going to get a job in an office.
5. If the above haven’t got you anywhere, add a cute photo of a puppy to your application.