KUSU bans sales of The Sun in Page 3 boycott

After banning Blurred Lines, KUSU have got in touch with their inner feminist by boycotting Page 3 newspapers

Blurred Lines boycott page 3 Kingston students Kingston SU Kingston University KUSU The Sun

KUSU has banned the sale of The Sun newspaper from all union shops, joining a national boycott of Page 3.

The news means Kingston becomes the 29th university to refuse to sell The Sun until the topless feature is removed.

And it is the second high profile ban ordered by KUSU this term – Robin Thicke’s ‘Blurred Lines’ was forbidden from playing on SU premises in September.

The boycott will last until The Sun stops publishing Page three shoots like these.

crosspost-emma-k-splash.jpg

Nottingham student Emma K probably has a few things to say to KUSU

Amanda Davis, a second year Psychology student, disagrees with the banning of ‘Blurred Lines’ and The Sun boycott by KUSU. She said: “Women appear on Page 3 because they want to, and how is it any different from things like ‘Torso of the week’ in Heat magazine? If women can access publications at uni to gawp at topless men, then surely men should have that same right if it’s equality that people want.”

Kingston resident John Beddingfield said: “If you ban groups you ban people having opinions. Giving options to people in order to let them make their own decisions is surely what its all about”.

Kingston student Oliver Giles Day believes the boycott are “pretty pointless”. He added: “The Page 3 boycott will have zero affect on my life – I don’t read The Sun.” Oliver did admit to not being a fan of the Starbucks boycott: “I do enjoy a coffee.”

The ban means Kingston joins a nationwide boycott led by the No More Page 3 campaign

Alongside the boycott of Page 3 newspapers, anti-abortion groups have also been banned thanks to a motion put forward by Francesca Manning.

Is Kingston University becoming a feminist institution or is KUSU just following the crowd? We wait with baited breath for the next boycott.