Fashion for under a fiver

You better believe it: meet the King’s students who can dress well for under five quid

Fashion on the cheap – it’s not an easy thing to do. But there are some bargain savvy students out there. Here’s some King’s students who’ve bagged some pretty sweet key pieces for less than a fiver. 

Winter essentials: the three pound scarf

Isa bought this ‘Girl in the Green Scarf’-inspired scarf from H&M for only £3. If second-hand buys aren’t your thing and you can’t be bothered to sift through the jumble sale that is Primark; H&M is the next most purse-friendly and fashion-forward place to shop. A coloured or patterned scarf is a great way to add life to a simple outfit or one consisting of neutral colours.

Wendela wrapped up for just ONE POUND

Urban Outfitters had the prettiest duffle coat before Christmas…for £125. Wendela managed to find her coat (which is a pretty good look-a-like) for £1. ONE POUND. Cue widening of eyes and splutters of disbelief.  It’s a lovely coat and really really cosy. This is why every student needs to ditch the high street (I can’t believe I’m saying this) and go to vintage kilo sales. East London is your oyster and shall your purse never feel empty again!

Amira in green

Would you believe this dress cost me £3.50? No? Thought not. I’m still not entirely sure how it can be justified for a once £175 dress to be reduced to under £5 but with student discount on top, this Topshop beauty was an absolute steal. It reminded me Keira Knightley’s dress in Atonement so, of course, I had to buy it.  It’s good quality material and saved me when I had an impromptu invite to a family formal party. If Primark and vintage markets are not really your thing, keep your eye on the sales as you never know what you can find!

Keeping it bright this winter

Romina has done very well for herself, bagging this Zara necklace for £5. Sounds impossible, right? A combination of sale combined with a faulty clasp, which was quickly and easily fixed, led to this bargain. Shops are always obligated to offer a reduced price for mildly faulty items; normally this is only 10% but what Zara doesn’t know, won’t hurt us 😉

A statement necklace is key usually, but particularly for SS’14. It is the perfect way to make a block-colour outfit stand out and it can instantly update an outfit. They are often rather expensive due to size and weight so look out for a good deal!

Oscar channelling East London

Oscar always comes out in the most amazing clothes and his response is always “East London” when I ask him where he gets it all from. It really is the place to be; the place to get individual and unique pieces but without the expensive price tag. These markets and kilo sales truly are a student’s best friend. This burgundy/maroon coat is so useful as it will go with anything…and it cost only £4.50! You seriously don’t need to shop anywhere else!

Making a statement with a Primark necklace

Jenn is also onto the statement necklace trend and also avoided paying the extortionate price tag for hers. Braving Primark, she found this interesting and unique necklace for a fiver. It definitely doesn’t seem as if it is from Primark and looks great against a block colour, such as Jen’s deep blue top. Statement necklaces are a need but I would never pay over £15 for one so sales and bargains are your best bet.

Indigo in tweed

Indigo knows how to do vintage the right way. Picking up this excellent bargain tweed jacket with a fox-fur collar at a car boot sale, she ensures she looks fashionable and fabulous for only £4. Incredible. Vintage kilo sales, markets and boot sales are really the places to go if you love your clothes but hate your current bank balance. My favourite boot sale is in Ascot whilst Indigo prefers Sidcup. Head down Brick Lane or into Camden for an unexpected bargain too!

Proving you can really dress up for less than you think

Alice looks gorgeous in this bodycon sequin black dress with mesh cut-out detail. Most girls splash their cash to find a pretty party dress for their nights out. This particular bargain? Fiver from every girl’s godsend: Primark. So just because you’re on a tight budget this dry January, you can still look good on a night out-Primarni will always be there for you ;)Alice looks gorgeous in this Bodycon sequin black dress with mesh cut-out detail. Most girls splash their cash to find a pretty party dress for their nights out. This particular bargain? Fiver from every girl’s godsend: Primark. So just because you’re on a tight budget this dry January, you can still look good on a night out-Primarni will always be there for you.