Meet Inigo: The King’s student making the best POV comedy videos on TikTok

He has over 100k followers and five million likes

If you have a TikTok account, chances are that your For You page is full of POV (point of view) TikToks, one of the most popular types of videos on the app right now. The King’s Tab spoke to Inigo Gunning, whose viral POV TikToks range from ridiculing Netflix shows to satirising Depop girls. Inigo has garnered an impressive following, with 108.7k followers and five million likes. We spoke to him about everything from TikTok fame to his plans for the future.

‘I always liked making silly videos, and my friends said I should post them on TikTok’

Inigo’s decision to begin his TikTok career wasn’t premeditated. “At the start of the first lockdown, I made one just to look at what it was, but I didn’t actually start making videos until December,” he said. “I always liked making silly videos and posting them on my close friends story on Instagram. My friends said that I should post them on TikTok because they might do well there.” While Inigo was hesitant at first, he followed through with their advice. “I was like, okay, I guess I’ll post a few videos on there,” he said.

When asked about his friends’ reactions to his TikTok fame, he said they “just find it funny, and make fun of me about it in a joking way.”

“Out of everyone in my family, only my brother knows about my account since my parents are quite inept at social media”, he said.

If his parents did find out about his account, he believes they would “probably find my username to be inappropriate and think my content is weird. But they’ll get used to it at some point!”

‘My inspiration for TikToks comes from a mixture of random everyday things and having a ridiculous brain’

Speaking about why his following has grown so quickly, Inigo said it was partially because he’s selective with his content: “I only post stuff that I find funny or relatable. So when people watch my videos and find them funny too, they decide to stay and check my other stuff out. People love light-hearted videos that make fun of things. I think it’s a mixture of that, and the app’s algorithm.”

Inigo says experience of going viral felt “really crazy, especially because it occurred when I first started making videos,” and that he felt he “got lucky” with the app.

None of the videos he makes is planned: “I’ll just be walking around, doing something mundane, and then come across something completely ridiculous that inspires me to make a TikTok. Other times, I’ll just be sat at home, and suddenly an idea will pop into my head and I’ll think, ‘I have to make a video about this now.'”

Inigo says his creative process is more spontaneous than most people realise: “I also feel like I have a really insane mind, so my inspiration comes from a mixture of random everyday things and having a ridiculous brain.”

‘Someone will come up to me at least once a week and tell me that they like my videos and that I make them laugh’

Inigo said he’s had some weird experiences with being recognised in public. “One super surreal and random occurrence was when I was walking with my friends, and someone came up to me asked to take a picture with me”, he said. “I was like, ‘I’m literally nobody!’ Now, someone will come up to me at least once a week and tell me that they like my videos and that I make them laugh.”

Everyone knows the best part of TikTok fame is being able to interact with celebrities, and Inigo has his fair share of experiences with the stars: “Rina Sawayama followed me, which was insane because I’m obsessed with her. Florence Given posted me on her Instagram story too, and I had a conversation with her, which also felt super crazy.

“The other day I got a message from Davina McCall on Instagram, who told me that she was my biggest fan! I’ve admired them for so long, it’s ridiculous to hear something like that from someone you idolise. It was a really nice surprise.”

‘One time someone compared me to Shane Dawson and I was like, please, anyone but him’

Speaking on whether he’s received hate for his videos, he said: “I think I got quite lucky because I don’t get many hate comments. Whenever I do get one, it’s either really random or is just something I can’t take personally.”

He believes that even if he did receive hate comments, he wouldn’t be bothered: “I’d think it was just someone bored at home, typing behind a screen– it wouldn’t really get to me. But one time someone compared me to Shane Dawson and I was like, please, anyone but him.”

Inigo is graduating soon, and his plans for the future are all laid out: “I really like comedy, acting, and writing and my dream is to pursue these interests. I’ve already written lots of materials for stand-up comedy shows, so as soon as everything re-opens, I’m going to try to book as many gigs as I can.” Inigo believes TikTok is “mainly a platform to help launch me into stand-up.”

“It’s been nice to be able to create content and interact with lots of people”, he said, “even if the format is different from what I want to pursue in the future.”