London is in the new Tier 2: What this means for King’s students

Universities will remain open, but pubs and restaurants face some restrictions

The government has announced a new tier system for various parts of the country after the national lockdown ends on December 2nd. The tier for London is officially Tier 2: High Alert status, with all 32 boroughs being included. While Tier 2 rules are not as strict as those of Tier 3, various restrictions will be in place.

Addressing the House of Commons, Health Secretary Matt Hancock said: “I know how difficult this has been, especially for those areas who have been in tougher restrictions for so long.”

He went on to state: “We must make the tiers tougher than they were before, to protect the NHS through the winter and avert another national lockdown.”

Under Tier 2 rules, universities and colleges will remain open, so King’s students continue to have the opportunity to visit and study on campus or at campus libraries. Additionally, pubs and restaurants can open with some restrictions. Health Secretary Matt Hancock added: “…In Tier 2, alcohol must only be served in hospitality settings as part of a substantial meal.”

No mixing of households indoors apart from support bubbles will be allowed, and the rule of six will be enforced outdoors. Individuals are advised to limit travel and avoid travelling to Tier 3 areas.

tier for London

This update comes after 24 King’s students and 14 King’s staff have tested positive in the past seven days. King’s case count since the start of term has totalled a number of 330 student cases, and 52 staff cases. The statistics regarding case counts as of November 23rd, 2020 can be found here.

King’s also released their Covid-19 testing plan recently, with free Lateral Flow antigen testing being made available for students from November 30th onwards. The tests are part of a wider plan with the government to assist students planning to return home for the winter break.

The latest information for King’s student regarding coronavirus can be found here. Government guidance regarding the tier for London restrictions can be found here.