How the national lockdown is relevant to King’s students

The university will remain open, but some programmes may go completely online

In an email update sent earlier today, King’s Principal Edward Byrne and Vice-Principal Nicola Phillips elaborated upon the university’s plan regarding the national lockdown. The update stated that while the university would continue to remain open, some programmes may move completely online beginning next week.

King’s will continue to provide in-person teaching for all programmes with clinical and placement activities, currently timetabled laboratory sessions, and other practical learning activities. However, from next week, King’s has said they “…will be moving all other programmes online.” University faculties will provide additional “engagement and enrichment activities” for students on-campus. Further department-specific details will be available on November 4th.

From November 5th onwards, only essential research and lab-based PhD work will be able to continue on campus until the national lockdown ends. Students and staff can continue to travel to and from campus, but are encouraged to do so only for personal study and informal learning. Library access and booking of study slots will continue to be available throughout the lockdown.

Catering facilities at King’s will be operating at a lower capacity, available on each campus with reduced opening hours. All King’s gyms will be closed during the lockdown, but the university has stated that students “will be able to access exercise and wellness classes online.”

The statement also reiterated the government’s travel rules, stating that it is illegal to travel or stay at another address that is not your usual term-time accommodation. ‘This includes returning to your hometown or staying with friends and family,” they added.

King’s provided a list of university resources for mental health during the lockdown. King’s counselling and mental health support can be accessed remotely through phone support, remote appointments, and more. Out-of-hours counselling support is also available for students who seek it during evenings and weekends. The university also shared an online support platform for mental health, Togetherall.

Students who believe they may have coronavirus symptoms were asked to visit the NHS 111 online coronavirus service for guidance and complete the King’s self-isolation reporting form immediately. The statement concluded by thanking students and staff for “continuing to work together and providing support to each other as a King’s community.”