King’s Principal to take voluntary 30 per cent pay cut while all staff salaries are frozen

The pay freeze will apply for six months

An email sent by the chairman of King’s College London has revealed the Principal is set to take a voluntary 30 per cent pay cut, while salary increases pay across the University will be frozen for six months.

Following news the University has suspended the hiring of Graduate Teaching Assistants (GTAs), King’s will be preceding with further measures to protect its finances.

The email revealed the following:

– King’s Principal will take a voluntary 30 per cent salary reduction, while the Vice-Principals will take a 10 per cent reduction. Both will last six months from the 1st of August, and could potentially extend a further six months.

– From the 1st of August, salary increases will be frozen for six months across the whole University.

– Deans and Directorate Heads will prioritise only essential staff recruitment.

Bush House (South East), King's College London, Strand

The email says King’s “is actively and thoroughly planning for a range of scenarios to mitigate the impact of these changed circumstances” to protect the University “in the mid to long term.”

The Chairman writes: “It has been humbling, too, to witness the ways in which so many in our community of staff and students are making significant individual contributions. They are tackling the pandemic head-on by initiating urgent research, delivering frontline clinical care, supporting our NHS partners (for example by offering laboratories to support testing and other essential facilities), and volunteering in their local communities.”

He adds the University will continue to support students through summer assessments, while continuing to plan for new admissions in September.

According to a leaked email published by The King’s Tab last week, the University is planning to continue teaching online up until January 2021.

The email also thanks staff for their “exemplary work,” including online teaching, supporting students still on campus, and balancing work with “vital family commitments.”

He says: “The creativity everyone has shown and the pace at which you have adapted to new ways of working to deliver our mission is extraordinary.”

“We have already demonstrated that, even in such difficult times as these, King’s has remained steadfast in its service to society.

“Drawing on this notably strong and cohesive community, we can be very confident of getting through this crisis. Inevitably, however, it may not be possible to shield us completely from some of the consequences that will confront every university in the country.”