Image may contain: Accessory, Sunglasses, Accessories, People, Text, Parade, Crowd, Brochure, Poster, Flyer, Advertisement, Paper, Person, Human

King’s UCU have amended strike dates

Strike dates now avoid reading week

UCU

On Thursday, King's UCU announced revised strike dates:

Due to reading week the strike dates at King's will now be:

Week 1: Monday 24, Tuesday 25, and Wednesday 26 February

Week 2: Monday 2, Tuesday 3, Wednesday 4, and Thursday 5 March

Week 3: Monday 9, Tuesday 10, Wednesday 11, Thursday 12, and Friday 13 March

Week 4: Thursday 19 and Friday 20 March

The National Union of Students (NUS) said yesterday: 'Let your lecturers know that you support them – it will mean a lot!'

'Keep an eye out for solidarity actions planned by your students’ union and please join in wherever you can.'

'The more that students show their support, the greater the chance that the strike will be successful in forcing universities back to re-enter negotiations and settle the dispute.'

Image may contain: People, Vehicle, Transportation, Crowd, Banner, Accessories, Sunglasses, Accessory, Clothing, Footwear, Shoe, Apparel, Person, Human, Text

In 2018, King's students turned out to show their support for their teaching staff

On Wednesday, King's made a formal announcement to students about the industrial action, confirming that some teaching staff who are UCU members will be participating in industrial action.

King's said: “We respect the right of our colleagues to take industrial action and recognise that no-one takes the decision to strike lightly."

King's also confirmed that action short of a strike (ASOS) will take place continuously from 20 February to no later than 27 July 2020. This involves UCU members:

-Working to contract

-Not covering for absent colleagues

-Not rescheduling lectures or classes cancelled due to strike action

-Not sharing materials relating to lectures or classes cancelled as a result of strike action

-Not undertaking any voluntary activities

King's said they are 'committed to doing everything we possibly can to support our students during this time. We are working closely with your faculties, departments and KCLSU to consider all available measures to minimise the impact of the disruption on your studies.'

'During the strike action the university will remain open and you will continue to have access to the libraries, computer rooms, and services to enable you to continue your studies and independent learning.'

King's explained that, 'Where possible, teaching will go ahead, but there may be instances where sessions have to be cancelled. If they can, your faculties or departments will let you know as soon as possible of any change to your timetabled sessions.'

'However, we are not always in a position to inform you of any changes in advance, as staff members are not legally required to tell the university if they plan to take industrial action.'

King's confirmed that the university 'will not benefit in any way from the salary savings that will arise from the strike action and will instead ring-fence those funds and use them in ways that will benefit our current student body.'

'We are consulting with KCLSU to decide on the best uses for these funds and are aware that the KCLSU Officers are intending to consult with the wider student body.'

Are you a staff member taking part in the strike, or have you decided not to participate? Are you a King's student who strongly supports, or disagrees with, the strikes? Write to us @thetabkcl