Image may contain: Crowd, Person, People, Human

We asked teaching staff at King’s why they are on the picket line this semester

‘Because students shouldn’t pay more and more while their teachers make less and less’

Throughout the lead up to the UCU strike over the next month, we haven't heard directly from King's teaching staff about their opinions on industrial actions or their specified reasons for approaching the picket line, because of the previous apprehension around speaking out.

On the first day of the KCL strikes, it has become clear that teaching staff are out in huge numbers to oppose prospect changes to their pensions.

We asked your professors and GTAs why they are out on the picket line and how we – as students – can support them over the coming weeks outside of lecture halls.

Seb Franklin, Department of English

Image may contain: Parade, Crowd, Person, People, Human

"I stand with students and academics against the marketisation of education"

Mayssoun Sukarieh, Department of Middle Eastern Studies

Image may contain: Parade, Clock, Crowd, Person, People, Human

"I want to teach at a university that allows me to have humane and direct relations with my students, free from market mediation"

Tom Langley, Department of Comparative Literature

Image may contain: Knitting, Parade, Crowd, Person, People, Human

"I'm here because I love teaching and I want to keep doing it"

Sonia Massai, Department of English

Image may contain: Person, People, Human

"My first time on a picket line… And about time!"

Hannah Murray, Department of English

Image may contain: Back, Toilet, Person, People, Human

"I'm striking for fair pensions and fair pay!"

Fran Allfrey, Vicky Walker, James Morland, Fran Brooks, Department of English

Image may contain: Parade, Crowd, Vehicle, Transportation, Bus, Person, People, Human

"Support the strike to protect the future of universities as a community of scholars!"

Nick Andon, Department of Education, Communication and Society

Image may contain: Vehicle, Transportation, Car, Automobile, Person, People, Human

"I'm striking to defend the pay and conditions of younger colleagues so that universities can continue to attract great people to provide a great education."

Jane Elliott, Department of English

"Because students shouldn't pay more and more while their teachers make less and less"

Paul Gilroy, Department of English

"Because I am against the rise of the driverless university"

Kélina Gottman, Department of English

"Because students and teachers are at the heart of the university – the conversation is ours to be had"

James Dawson, Department of War Studies

Image may contain: Head, Crowd, Person, People, Human

"I'm annoyed that UUK unilaterally decided to cut their pension liabilities – this means they are taking a deferred part of MY wages!"

Melissa Nisbett, Department of Culture, Media and Creative Industries

Image may contain: Word, Person, People, Human

"I'm striking because I don't like economics coming first and education second"

So far talks have not been scheduled between the UCU and the UUK. Here are the rest of the days King's staff will be on strike until March 20th.