‘I’m here because I believe in equality’: What went down at the Trump protest last night

Trump’s #MuslimBan has no place here

Londoners are not the type to stay away and say nothing about anything that goes on that’s either a) global b) affecting their biscuit consumption c) political. Let’s put this into place; Trump becomes President (boo), has too many controversial policies (double boo) and then, our Prime Minister, Theresa May, decides to suck up to him to get a trade deal, which seems to be the only tactic that makes him agree to things (triple boo).

Recent events have concluded three things; Donald Trump’s 90 day ban on Muslims entering the USA from Libya, Sudan, Somalia, Yemen, Syria, Iran and Iraq is unacceptable. Secondly, the UN has called this illegal as it’s against all basic human rights that we stand for, with an explicit statement from the Justice Department saying that backing would not be available (accompanied by the firing of Sally Yates). Thirdly, Theresa May’s actions in his press conference were pretty snaky.

The Muslim Ban has a lot of critics thinking history is repeating itself, and it is looking like it. His totalitarian attitude to his presidency brings about chaos and not reassurance. Only silver lining; at least more people are reading George Orwell’s 1984. But what seems the strangest, is that with these policies, we’re taking steps backwards, moving against the flow of progress – while the rest of the world hankers for a change in traditional, racial and segregatory beliefs.

Trump is not the image people conjure in their heads while thinking about how global citizens should support each other, he’s black magic. Last night’s protest however, was demonstrative of how us Brits not only discourage this type of hate, but also of how we don’t want the leader of our country to submit so willingly to what he has to say, without putting up a front.

People attending this protest were passionate, angry and not willing to accept Donald Trump’s crap. Families being split. Protests at arrival gates of Dulles. It’s a backwards Love Actually (@ Richard Curtis solve this problem). Being together in this environment showed our desire for a united front of actually changing things, making our voices heard, and as romantic as that sounds, it’s accompanied with a realisation. All the good transformations in the world are being overshadowed by a policy creating obstacles instead of opening doors; how can he impose something he himself would hate, if positions were swapped?

We asked demonstrators at the protest why they were there, and what they thought of Trump.

Louis Cole, 33, Youtuber

I was there for multiple reasons. I want to take a stand, putting my voice amongst other people’s voices because I feel people will see it. I was reading something the other day that said if you don’t say anything you are essentially agreeing with the injustice.

Nadine, 17, Student

I’m here protesting the Muslim Ban, and that Theresa May, our Prime Minister, is not standing up against him.

Annabel, 17, Student

I’m also protesting the Muslim Ban, it’s unacceptable, it’s in fact against the Geneva Convention. Refugees who have taken two or three years to pass through the visa process are now being turned away at the sake of one hand.

Jordan Harris, 20, Student

I’m here because I completely disagree with the Muslim Ban.

Chloe, 20, Fine Art Drawing at Camberwell

I’m here because Donald Trump is a bit of a cunt.

Arty, 22, Student

I’m against xenophobia, he’s not banning Muslims from America and we’re standing the fuck against that!

Eloise, 22, Student

I’m here as an American citizen who stands against Donald Trump and everything he stands for, including his Islamophobic tendencies.

Priya, Student

I’m here exercising my basic human rights in the solidarity of Muslims.

Lucy, 17, Student

I’m here because I believe in equality and I fucking hate Donald Trump.

Cat, 18, Student

I’m here because I don’t think Theresa May should be assisting Donald Trump and supporting his values, should be standing up to him instead of being passive.

“SAY IT LOUD, SAY IT CLEAR, REFUGEES ARE WELCOME HERE”