What does your first concert say about you?

Like your first shag – it’s unlikely it was any good and less likely you’re proud of who it was

Case in point, my first ‘gig’ was at the LG Arena in Birmingham, where I watched 2007’s X Factor finalists, led by the ‘inimitable’ Leon Jackson, butcher over a dozen karaoke classics over the course of two hours. Needless to say, it was dope.

Since then, my live music experiences have been varied; watching Cheryl Cole and will.i.am murder their horrible duet ‘3 Words’ as part of the Black Eyed Peas’ The E.N.D Tour was pretty excruciating, while Jay-Z and Kanye West leading an arena sized mosh-pit through ‘N*ggas in Paris’ 10 times in a row was surprisingly fun.

But what about your first concert experiences? What were they like? And what do they say about you? We asked about.

Danielle, Second Year, French & English

Sugababes, age 8.

Don’t worry, the Sugababes comeback is dues any day now…

“There was a really tall man standing in front of us. My friend and I were so annoyed. Then he got invited onto the stage, where they started pretending to whip him. We didn’t like it.”

Well if you’re going to get pretend-whipped by any Sugababes line-up it may as well be the Mutya-Keisha-Heidi one, as they were clearly the best one…

Matthew, Third Year, History & War Studies

Glastonbury, age 10.

Prefers cold hard astro to muddy fields.

“I’d wanted to go and see Busted but my parents decided that instead we could have a nice family day out at Glastonbury… Instead of disco-dancing with young ‘That’s What I Go To School For’ enthusiasts I found myself trying to avoid coming within five metres of the horde of dirty adolescent zombie revellers. I don’t remember who was on the pyramid stage that year, I probably didn’t even care. I spent my day ambling about between the areas holding my mum’s hand, trying to find a musician that we could both tolerate. We were unsuccessful. I’ve never wanted to go back to Glastonbury in the 12 years since. I’ve only been to one other ‘concert’ in that time. But Year 3000 is still in my top 10 played on iTunes.”

The Killers, The Who and The Arctic Monkeys (no, really) were headlining that year, so he probably didn’t miss much.

Harry, First Year, Neuroscience

Busted, age 7.

It’s taken him years to overcome the trauma.

“A wasp climbed up my leg while I was queuing, stung me on the leg 4 times and then on my knob, so I had to take off my trousers and sit in the queue in my pants to get in as my leg swelled. I then sat through the whole concert in my y-fronts, forever traumatised at the tender age of 7. I went off Busted after that.”

Kids, never go to a concert without a tub of Savlon.

Rudy, Second Year, Bio-chemistry

Skepta and Wiley, age 18.

Probably listening to Little Mix.

“It was in Ayia Napa – wasn’t into them before that. I had a dance-off with Danny Walbeck’s little brother. He murdered me. After the show, Wiley came up to us and my mate genuinely started crying because he loved him that much.”

I mean you can’t really blame the guy for crying – trying to imagine Skepta fill a set before the release of ‘That’s Not Me’ or ‘Shutdown’ is tear-jerking stuff.

Tom, Second Year, History & War Studies

Bruce Springsteen, age 11.

He looks like a Springsteen fan, doesn’t he?

“I was with my mum, after 3 hours I turned to her and said ‘not another bloody song’. When he started taking requests from the crowd, it was like the end of a seminar when you want to leave and there’s always that one guy who asks stupid questions and keeps you there. I didn’t like it.”

Tom later admitted that he actually ‘quite likes his music now’, which seems counter-intuitive but there you go.

Rachael, Second Year, Neuroscience

T in the Park, age 15.

#TinThePark2k10

“Went in at the deep end. Bought suspiciously cheap ‘Vodka’ jelly shots from a randomer. Have many regrets. Who was playing? Snoop Dogg!! The Killers, Alt-J, David Guetta and… umm… Calvin Harris? Those were the big ones.”

I mean the picture says it all really, doesn’t it?

Jordan, Second Year, English

Taylor Swift, Age 17 (!)

‘Haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate…’

“Girl at my school had a couple of free tickets so a few guys and I went along not expecting much. I don’t know about them, but I was pleasantly surprised. Maybe it was the private box, but Tay-Tay can put on a show, even if she does spend about half an hour before each song pouring her heart out to ex-lovers.”

Given Jordan is now technically a model, he’d probably fit right in with Swifto’s 2016 #squad.

Lizzy, First Year Religion, Politics & Sociology

McFly, Age 8.

Yes, she has seen McBusted.

“Badly dyed fringes, cargo shorts and auto-tuned songs about sacking it all off to dance in the kitchen. 2003 was a pretty big year. Not only were McFly formed, ‘Finding Nemo’ came out and Britain invaded Iraq. It was the year that we needed a distraction. ‘Finding Nemo’ only lasts 101 minutes. McFly’s shimmering optimism is eternal. McFly are not only the band that Britain wanted, they were the band that Britain needed. Obviously. Who knows? Maybe if George Bush had been at the same concert that I was, instead of having ISIS, we might have an answer to who that weirdo was with five colours in her hair.”

What Lizzy means is that Busted were, in fact, the band Britain wanted and McFly were what Britain got once Busted decided to fuck off. We will never forget, Charlie. Never.

Katy, Second Year Politics, Philosophy and Law

Girl Guide Big Gig, Age 10.

Scout’s honour…

“I did Girl Guides every year until I was about 12 and every year there was a ‘Big Gig’ at Wembley. It was the event of the century. I had all these bright lights. Thought I was so cool. The line-up was Lil’ Chris, Alesha Dixon, Lemar, Orson and the Sugababes. I literally loved Lil’ Chris – ‘ch-ch-ch-checkin’ it ouuuuut!’ – I was convinced I was going to meet him and he would fall in love with me. My ego started from a very early age… Awks that he’s dead now though.”

This might be the most 2006 line-up you could have put together in 2006.

Nick, Second Year, Politics

Boardmasters Festival, Age 17.

Dreaming of models…

“It was in Newquay. Chase & Status and Snoop Dogg were headlining. Kissed a girl who is now a model. All went downhill from there.”

Well it’s not like Chase & Status or Snoop Dogg have been done much since then either. Perhaps that was Nick’s Fault.