KCL Action Palestine have condemned last night’s violent protests

They said they ‘do not condone any aggressive reaction’

KCL Action Palestine have condemned the violent behaviour at the Israel Society talk last night.

In a statement released on their Facebook page, they said: “In light of the accusations surrounding yesterday’s events, KCL Action Palestine would like to categorically condemn any aggression that took place at the Israel Society’s Ami Ayalon event.”

Last night’s talk was halted by police after protesters allegedly smashed windows, threw chairs and set off fire alarms in the Macadam Building.

KCLAP say they planned to challenge Ayalon, but were not involved in the violent protests which took place.

They said: “Our intention was to attend the event and shed light on Ayalon’s crimes and views through deliberation.

“That the event escalated into a disruption was beyond our control and not incited by any member of our committee. KCLAP is not connected and does not control the actions of external attendees.

“As stated we do not condone any aggressive reaction on our campuses. Some of our members protested after they were left out and people were arbitrarily selected to go into the event, we refute any involvement with what took place beyond this.”

Meanwhile, King’s have announced that they will conduct an “urgent investigation” into the incident.

In a statement, they said:  “Universities create environments in which debate from all sides on issues of political, scientific, moral, ethical and religious significance is possible, and King’s is no exception.

“We are proud of our diverse community and are absolutely committed to respect for all of our staff and students and to peaceful and respectful dialogue where people have conflicting views. We do not, and will not, condone the use of any form of violent protest.”

Tuesday night’s events come in the wake of extensive debate regarding free speech on university campuses, and Jo Johnson MP, Minister for Universities and brother of London Mayor Boris,  specifically addressed the incident at King’s today.

He said: “Britain and Israel share many important academic links and speakers must be able to address meetings peacefully.

“Our universities should be safe spaces for students to expand their minds, and there can be no justification for violent intimidation that curtails free speech.”