Why do we bother with the UCL rivalry? We’re essentially the same

We’re both full of posh kids and go out more than Imperial

It’s a well-known fact among UoL students that King’s and UCL aren’t exactly BFFs, but the more you stop to think about it, the less sense this makes: surely we have more in common than we do different?

Why do we get so riled up about a group of students just like us who, really, are more like a scarily similar sibling than a sworn enemy?

There are plenty of reasons we should just scrap the rivalry and accept that we are basically the same anyway.

We were both founded in the 19th Century

As boring as this is, it means we should stop this silly squabbling about who has the older uni, especially when we were even founded in the same decade.

We’re from the same century, so let’s discuss our similar childhoods like any other adults discovering they grew up with the same TV shows.

We more or less have the same entrance requirements

Have you ever been caught up in the ‘my uni’s requirements were higher than yours’ debate?

We can’t do it here. Doesn’t really work.

To study English BA at both King’s and UCL you’d need AAA at A level, which means we’re just as intelligent as each other and you could probably swap us into each other’s lectures to find us following, no problem.

We’re on the same academic wavelength – why not ride it together?

We have an equal numbers of poshos

Let’s mention what’s usually the elephant in the room: there are a lot of posh people at both UCL and King’s.

Evident from their devilishly handsome Prince William-esque look (surely the result of more than just a strong gene pool?), you can pick these out of the crowded hallways with relative ease.

Not that they’re particularly difficult to spot on either uni’s campus with their MyWaitrose cards and red trousers. Besides, half of these frequent the same Tatler-documented birthdays anyway, so can be found weeping together discussing how much they miss Latin.

We’re the only London unis that aren’t entirely mute

Maybe we’re just squabbling with each other because we might as well be the only two London unis – you never meet a student from Imperial or LSE out and about, and it’s tough to argue with a mute.

Students at King’s and UCL seem to have similar partying schedules, and equal levels of social interaction, and we both get referred to as the “party uni” often.

Do we really party harder than other students, or is this another case of Imperial being silent? Either way, once again UCL and King’s are lumped together by all other London unis, and if everyone’s doing it, it must be true.

At the end of the day, If you strip back the sports matches, entrance requirements and buildings, we’re all just having fun in an amazing city, and there’s no reason we can’t just get rid of the old rivalries and get along.

But then again, a bit of competition is healthy now and then, right?